This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at RW chapter.

Ever since the day my mother let me buy a brown eyeliner and mascara, (black was too harsh for a thirteen year old, duh) I knew makeup was going to be something I would end up indulging in for the rest of my life. From Bethany Mota makeup tutorials, to James Charles with his extravagant looks, I was sold at a young age that makeup was not a want, but a need. After years and probably thousands of dollars later, I can finally say I found some amazing staples everyone needs!

Rule to live by: Drugstore makeup is in, I promise. 

If I was able to go back in time and tell myself to stop spending absurd amounts of money on Naked Pallets and Better than Sex mascara, boy, would I take that opportunity and run. Sure, the beauty gurus may be endorsing Too Faced or Bobbi Brown, but honey, your bank account is not, let’s just be honest. Don’t get me wrong, I love a good splurge on some nice skincare products or touching up my extremely overgrown roots, but don’t let anyone tell you that you need to spend $50 on foundation. You’re not less credible for your makeup masterpiece if you spent a little less money on it AND also had enough coin left for a Venti at Starbucks. 

Now onto the products; warning, unfortunately not all of these products are cruelty free, which hurts my heart to say. What I will say, however, is that a lot of drugstore brands and parent companies are continuously getting better with social activism along with sustainability, and I hope they continue to grow and work to make our world a better place.

Eyes: CoverGirl, I am sorry for talking sh*t about you in high school. This product is something I never thought or knew I needed, but I can honestly say she is going NOWHERE anytime soon. 

COVERGIRL Lash Blast Amplify Primer – $6.49. I know what you’re thinking, just put an extra coat of mascara on and ignore the primer. When I say this product changed my life, that is an understatement. No matter what mascara you use, whether it is COVERGIRL Flourish by Lash Blast, (another holy grail omg) or even that random one you picked up at the dollar store, it will change the game. Length ✓ Volume ✓ Curl ✓. 

Face: Foundation and concealer were always things I felt I needed to get from a high-end brand. Of course I believe there are amazing products from said brands, but right now I’m just trying to save as much as I can for that extra martini on the weekends. In this case, L’oreal has my heart. Dry skin, covered. Oily skin, not a problem. L’oreal Infallible Pro-glow or L’oreal Infallible Pro-matte – $11-$13. One thing that irks me to no end, limited shade range. There’s talk of more shades coming, and I pray it’s the truth. Oh, and don’t sleep on the Pro-Glow Concealer, excellent dupe for Tarte’s Shape Tape concealer!

Lips: Stop, drop, and pucker up because ELF never disappoints when it comes to lips. From liners, to Mattes, to gloss, honestly they’re all worth the hype. And all for under $10? Come on. My favorite product right now is the Ride or Die Lip Balm – $5. This lip balm comes in 7+ colors and smells good, has lovely pigment, and a glossy shine without the stickiness. From casual day, to night out, this product is great on the lips and the wallet.

Hello my name is Alaina Basia Bibbo and I go by Basia! I am a Senior at RW studying Marketing and Minoring in Graphic Design. I love makeup, fashion (especially statement pieces) and trying new things!
Hi, I'm Jessie, the Campus Coordinator and Founder of Her Campus at Roger Williams University! I am a senior majoring in Communication and Media Studies and minoring in Marketing and Graphic Design. When not in school, I love to work out, shop, listen to music and spend time with my friends!