Career

Are Unpaid Internships Worth It?

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at RW chapter.

Internships… Some are required for specific programs or just highly suggested to maximize experience and build a resume, here at RW.  At first glance, unpaid internships are probably not ideal, but when weighing the options, you might rethink that. As a college student, money is usually tight, and we heavily rely on the money earned from our part time jobs to fulfill our college experience and pay off student loans. When taking a deeper look into the idea of an unpaid internship, you might be able to evaluate and realize it is the right decision for you. Here are some components to consider.

Resume building. Something we all try to do from the minute we begin at our university. Internships are going to differentiate the canidate from others going up against the same position. Check with an advisor or the career center at the university to see if this will give a competitive advantage. Many times, college credits can be earned for an internship. This can make an unpaid option have different benefits.

Internships are an amazing way to network with professionals. If someone does land an internship, use it as an opportunity to schedule short one on one meetings with people at the company; most people will be willing to talk to interns about their career. After the meeting, be sure to connect on LinkedIn and ask them if they know anyone in the field  and that they may be able to introduce you to.

If an internship is unpaid, but in a field you think you might want to pursue, it is a great way to get that real life experience. You will be able to learn about the job and decide if it is actually what you would like to pursue or if you would like to pivot away from that.

Reconsider this paragraph taking out second person.

Still wondering if an unpaid internship is worth it? The answer is truly situational and up to the student.. Weigh out options by talking with family, friends, or a professor. Reach out to the employer with questions or concerns. Last but definitely not least, do not be afraid to take a risk. Now is the time to feel out different career options and internships are the perfect way to do that. Good luck with the internship search!

Julia is the Marketing and PR coordinator at the Roger Williams University chapter. She is a senior majoring in marketing with a minor in graphic design.
Hi, I'm Jessie, the Campus Coordinator and Founder of Her Campus at Roger Williams University! I am a senior majoring in Communication and Media Studies and minoring in Marketing and Graphic Design. When not in school, I love to work out, shop, listen to music and spend time with my friends!