Style

An Activewear Capsule Collection for the Girl on the Go

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at RW chapter.

I find myself in activewear almost every day- whether it’s for dance class, boxing, or a gym session, I’m always finding a way to stay moving in between work or class. Over the years, I’ve built a collection of items that are my staples for any type of workout, and have figured out a method for deciding when to save and when to splurge on activewear.

Some items I consider essential for any activewear collection:

1. Black Leggings

How could I begin with anything else? Of course, Lululemon is a classic, but those are on the pricier end. An affordable alternative I’ve been loving is the Real Me leggings from Aerie. They’re super soft and flattering, and I love them for barre, yoga, or other low impact workouts. Not to mention, they’re almost always on sale.

2. Versatile Sneakers

Finding the perfect sneakers involves a lot of trial and error. If you enjoy all different kinds of workouts, it’s especially daunting to find a pair that’ll work for almost anything. On Black Friday, I bought a pair of Nike Free RN 2018s, and they’ve been perfect for me for everything from running to dancing. If you’re really stuck on what sneakers to choose, a visit to a running shoe store would definitely be worth it.

3. Sports Bras

It took me years to find sports bras that consistently worked for me. My personal favorite is the Energy Bra from Lululemon, which is supportive without being too bulky. Plus, it comes in virtually every color imaginable.

4. Cute Workout Tops

I feel like I can never have enough of these. I love throwing a cropped tank top for the gym that’s easy to take off if I get sweaty. Aerie has tons of seamless cropped tanks in all different colors!

In terms of deciding where to splurge or save, my general advice is to think about what’s most important for you to have in your workout gear. For example, I love high impact workouts, so I’ll typically splurge on a quality sports bra. If you find that your feet ache when you exercise, investing in a comfortable pair of sneakers will drastically change the way you feel during your workouts.

Almost every brand nowadays has some sort of activewear line. With all the options out there, it’s possible to build a functional and stylish collection no matter your budget!

I'm a Massachusetts native studying political science at Roger Williams University. Interests include dance, travel, fitness, fashion, and social justice activism. Die hard Boston sports fan and coffee enthusiast. she/her/hers
Hi, I'm Jessie, the Campus Coordinator and Founder of Her Campus at Roger Williams University! I am a senior majoring in Communication and Media Studies and minoring in Marketing and Graphic Design. When not in school, I love to work out, shop, listen to music and spend time with my friends!