thanksgiving
thanksgiving
Courtesy of Julianna Marie
Life > Experiences

3 Apps to Bring to Your Friendsgiving

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at RW chapter.

Thanksgiving is just a couple of weeks away, so that means we have some Friendsgivings to attend. I always want to bring something delicious and creative to my friends-giving, so here are three of the best appetizers to bring to your friends-giving that are easy and festive if you are unsure of what to bring. 

1. Butternut Squash Ricotta Bruschetta

This is probably one of the best appetizers I have ever had and it is super easy to make. It is from one of Ina Garten’s cookbooks. 

The ingredients for this are:

• 1 pound butternut squash, peeled and ½- to ¾-inch-diced
  • Good olive oil
  • Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
  • 1/8 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
  • 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
  • 3 cups sliced yellow onions (2 onions)
  • 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
  • 2 tablespoons pure maple syrup
  • 6 (½-inch-thick) slices rustic country bread, toasted
  • 1½ cups fresh ricotta

To make this preheat the oven to 425 degrees, and place your diced squash on a sheet and toss it with olive oil, salt, pepper, red pepper flakes. Roast them for about 25-35 minutes. Then on a pan over medium heat cook the onions for about 15 minutes and then add the apple cider vinegar and maple syrup, and let it simmer for about 5 minutes. When the squash is done add it to the pan with onions and mash it with a fork lightly. Then toast your bread, add a thick layer of ricotta cheese to the bread, and top with the butternut squash mixture on top. 

1. Loaded Brussel Sprouts

I recreated this idea from one of my favorite local restaurants in my town. These take so little time to do so they are great for something last minute. All you are going to need are:

• Brussel Sprouts
  • Olive Oil
  • Maple Syrup
  • Salt
  • Pepper
  • Goat Cheese
  • Bacon
  • Pickled Red Onions

To make these, preheat the oven to 425 degrees. Cut your Brussel sprouts in half and place them on a cookie sheet. Toss them in salt, pepper, olive oil, and maple syrup. Then roast them in the oven for about 25 minutes or until they are really crispy. While those are roasting, cook some bacon and chop the bacon into small pieces. For the pickled red onions I usually just buy them at the store. Then place them in a serving dish and top them with crumbled goat cheese, chopped bacon, and pickled red onions. 

1. Mini Baked Potatoes

These are so cute and easy to serve at a friends-giving, and also very budget-friendly. For these you will need:

• Baby potatoes
  • Olive Oil
  • Salt
  • Sour Cream
  • Chives
  • Cheese
  • Bacon
  • Any other toppings you want!

Preheat the oven to 375 degrees and then in a mixing bowl, coat the potatoes in olive oil spread onto a baking sheet, and sprinkle with salt. Cook for about 30 minutes in the oven. Then cut a v-shape into each potato, fill with sour cream and then sprinkle with chives, cheese, and bacon. Make sure the potatoes are cool first so the sour cream doesn’t melt!

Hi! My name is Sara Godfrey and I am a senior at Roger Williams University. Outside of school I love to read, write, cook and hang with my family and friends. I am excited to be a part of Her Campus because I want to be a part of a community that supports women, and I want to learn from different women.