This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at RW chapter.

It’s 2021 and drugstore skincare has become just as good as higher-end products. From face masks to toners, there’s so much more you can get with a college kid budget than ever before. Below are some of my favorites from brands that I trust every time I stop by Target or Ulta. 

1. Tea Tree Oil & Vitamin A Breakout Control Paste by Carbon Theory

This spot treatment is the most expensive item on this list, at $24.99, but is completely worth the investment. It’s a super effective product that comes in a generous bottle and in my opinion, outlasts other alternatives such as spot dots which are one-time use patches to go over a breakout. Simply take a q tip, put a dab onto any breakout, and then leave overnight. It is super effective in reducing redness and making your breakouts heal faster. It’s antimicrobial and effective in preventing dark spots. This has become my go-to for handling stress breakouts and feeling better about my skin overnight.

1. Caffeine Solution 5% + EGCG by The Ordinary 

The Ordinary is an incredible brand with more budget-friendly prices. Their line, however, can be really intimidating when you first look at their products. Most are listed by their chemical names. This under-eye serum was my first product by the brand and I have used it ever since. It’s a lightweight effective solution to under-eye circles and puffiness. I notice a difference in the dark circles under my eyes whenever I consistently apply this before bed. At under $7, it’s a great investment for anyone who wants to improve their under-eye area.

1. Citrus-Honey Aqua Glow by Peach Slices

Anything you see by Peach Slices at CVS or other drug stores, grab it. I have never tried a product I didn’t love from this brand. This moisturizer has become my favorite reliable and affordable choice. For $12, you get 3.04 fluid ounces. It’s incredibly lightweight and comes in a gel form that leaves no weird oily residue on your skin. It feels fresh and clean and is super fast at absorbing into your skin. It’s great for all skin types, from oily to dry.

1. Pumpkin Powerhouse Resurfacing Face Mask by Bliss

This $15 face mask gives you so many uses and is a great exfoliator. It leaves your skin nice, smooth and refreshed but is gentle in its resurfacing power. It isn’t drying and helps to clear away all sorts of impurities in the skin. It’s great for preventing breakouts when used regularly.

1. Niacinamide Brightening Toner by Good Molecules

Good Molecules is similar to The Ordinary as it’s priced reasonably for powerful ingredients. This brightening toner goes for $14 and is wonderful for treating dark spots. It helps to brighten skin, control oil, and fix bumpy texture. I’d definitely recommend this for anyone who struggles with hyperpigmentation.

My name is Sophia Hess and I'm a junior from Leominster, MA. With a major in design and minors in marketing and visual arts, I'm passionate about art and aesthetics. In my free time I love being with friends, listening to music, and finding new places to work on photography.