Harry Styles performing at the 2021 Grammy Awards
Photo by Francis Specker / CBS
This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at RW chapter.

This Sunday’s Grammy Awards was a night of amazing performances and a celebration of the great music of 2020. The various performances were on different stages inside the Staples Center, making it feel like a big, live concert. There were great moments of other artists watching each other perform, like Post Malone dancing to Cardi B and Megan Thee Stallion, or Harry Styles whistling for Billie Eilish. Comedian Trevor Noah hosted and did a great job and definitely had my friends and I laughing. One of the highlights of the show was the lack of Zoom calls! The awards were given in a socially-distant tent outside of the Staples Center, so the majority of the artists nominated were actually there in person, designer masks and all. 

Some highlights of the night were Harry Styles opening the show with his Grammy-winning song “Watermelon Sugar” as well as Dua Lipa’s amazing performance of a medley of songs from her Grammy-winning album Future Nostalgia. Each performance was an amazing production and super dynamic. There were several in memoriam performances dedicated to those musicians who have passed away this year. H.E.R. won Song of the Year for “I Can’t Breathe” which is about the Black Lives Matter movement. Beyoncé broke the record for most Grammy wins by a female. Overall it was an entertaining show full of great pop culture moments and of course, fantastic performances. This has been my favorite awards show of the season so far!

Here is a list of the winners announced during the live show:

Record of the Year- Everything I Wanted, Billie Eilish  

Album of the Year- Folklore, Taylor Swift 

Song of the Year- I Can’t Breathe, H.E.R. 

Best New Artist- Megan Thee Stallion 

Best Pop Vocal Album- Future Nostalgia, Dua Lipa

Best Pop Solo Performance- Watermelon Sugar, Harry Styles

Best Pop Duo/Group Performance- Rain on Me, Lady Gaga & Ariana Grande

Best Country Album- Wildcard, Miranda Lambert 

Best Country Duo/Group Performance- 10,000 Hours, Dan + Shay & Justin Bieber

Best R&B Performance- Black Parade, Beyoncé 

Best Rap Performance- Savage Remix, Megan Thee Stallion & Beyoncé 

RWU 2021 Comm & Media Studies you could say I like pop culture
Hi, I'm Jessie, the Campus Coordinator and Founder of Her Campus at Roger Williams University! I am a senior majoring in Communication and Media Studies and minoring in Marketing and Graphic Design. When not in school, I love to work out, shop, listen to music and spend time with my friends!