Win your Loved Ones Over This Holiday Season With These Winter Dessert Ideas

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Rutgers chapter.

The holiday season is (arguably) about three main things: family, friends, and baking. Maybe you pull together your signature Christmas cookies each year, or perhaps you whip up a mean batch of gingerbread men. Even if baking isn’t your strong suit, the mood to get in the kitchen and preheat the chills away always seems to strike this time of year. If you’re in need of some holiday baking inspiration, you’ve come to the perfect place! This article contains nine sweet recipes bound to make your family drool this winter. Whether you’re looking for a classic wintery snickerdoodle or something a tad more “out there,” look no further than below for some inspiration.

By the way—this article will primarily spotlight Cooking With Karli’s recipes. I’m a huge fan! This is in no way sponsored, but I strongly recommend taking a peek at her TikTok, Instagram, and personal website! Her content is incredible. She even makes copycat Crumbl cookies!

1) Snickerdoodles

Cooking With Karli’s Snickerdoodle Recipe

An instant holiday classic, snickerdoodles pack the light characteristic punch of cream of tartar, teamed with the welcoming embrace of a cinnamon sugar dusting. They are immensely sweet with a tiny, signature “kick” (you’ll know what I mean once you take a bite) that makes them so iconic! There are so many recipes you could consult for this tried and true cookie, but I’ve decided to link two: click the image above for a how-to on a soft, chewy snickerdoodle. It appears that it’s reminiscent of Insomnia Cookies‘ snickerdoodle recipe, so if you know and love them, check this recipe out! If you’re more interested in something with a bit more crunch… I didn’t forget about you! Click here!

2) gingersnaps

Cooking With Karli’s Gingersnap Cookie Recipe

Gingersnaps are a perfect treat for those who love gingerbread cookies but lack the desire to clean the unavoidable mess of icing, food dye, sprinkles, etc (which, from experience, will always occur when cookie decorating). If you love the sound of a molasses-y cookie with a soft, thick center, this recipe is perfect for you! A warm and inviting blend of cinnamon, sugar, and ginger is perfect for kicking off the holiday season.

3) Gingerbread Cookies

Cooking With Karli’s Gingerbread Cookies

For the daredevils who don’t fear the challenge of picking up an icing bag, I introduce one of the biggest holiday risks of all: gingerbread cookies! If your weapon of choice happens to be your steady hand, I suggest you add this hefty task to your holiday baking repertoire. While notoriously difficult—given the amount of rise they’re meant to have and the baking knowledge required to give them the perfect chewy-crunchy texture—these cookies are, arguably, the most fun to make! My personal favorite part of making these bad boys (or girls… or other! gingerbread doesn’t discriminate!) is giving them all different personalities during the decorating process. I firmly recommend the above recipe, whether it’s your first time making gingerbread… or your fifteenth!

4) Cut-out sugar cookies

Cooking With Karli’s Sugar Cookie Recipe

Ahhh, yet another staple makes the list. Who doesn’t love a good sugar cookie? Although they are typically associated with Christmas and the famous tradition of Santa Claus visiting, sugar cookies are flexible and can be made to fit any occasion! The decorative freedom is endless, and, bottom line, they’re ridiculously easy to make. Not only are the steps simple, but these cookies’ ingredients are kitchen cabinet essentials that you definitely already own—so you won’t have to take a trip to the food store like you might for some other recipes in this article! You know what that means… bring out the bowl and spoon whenever the craving strikes!

5) Peanut Butter Blossom Cookies

Cooking With Karli’s Peanut Butter Blossom Cookies

I’m not sure who or what made these cookies such popular holiday desserts, but they are INCREDIBLE. Moist, chewy, flavorful, and typically packed with several flavors, blossom cookies are always bound to hit that perfect spot the moment you take a bite. The sweetness of a slightly-melted Hershey’s kiss mixed with the nutty undertone from the peanut butter is a delicious combination and surely a key reason why this cookie is so popular. If you’re a peanut butter lover, this will probably be heaven in a cookie for you. However, if you’re allergic, or if peanuts just aren’t your thing, you can always consult google for other blossom cookie variations! I’ve already seen double chocolate and peppermint circulating the internet, and I’m sure you could find even more.

6) Peppermint Bark

@cookingwithkarli on Instagram

If you’re less of the cookie type, here you go: peppermint bark! Yet again, another winter dessert staple makes the list: this one consists of milk/dark chocolate, white chocolate, and crushed candy cane bits. While it’s still a tiny bit of a hassle to pull together, it beats cookies for those who like to spend less time baking during the holiday season! All you need is a little patience with heating and cooling chocolate, and you’re already set. I guarantee these will be a hit with nearly everyone you share them with.

7) Chocolate Crinkle Cookies

@cookingwithkarli on Instagram

Alas, a fully chocolate cookie recipe for you all… save for a dusting of sweet powdered sugar! These crinkle cookies have a delightful layer of confectioner’s sugar dappled atop its surface like a covering of snow. So very appropriate for the holiday season, right? Anywho, these chocolate cookies are rich and fudgy, apparently bearing a similar texture to brownies, according to Karli herself. If you’re a true, diehard chocolate fanatic, get a start on making these ASAP!

8) Hot Chocolate Cookies – Crumbl Copycat

Cooking With Karli’s Crumbl Copycat Hot Chocolate Cookies

What’s more wintery than hot chocolate cookies?? Let me know. These warm and cozy treats consist of a hot cocoa flavored cookie base, hot cocoa mousse, and mini marshmallows. The best part? They can be served warm OR chilled, depending on your preference! The original idea for hot chocolate cookies was invented by Crumbl, but if an expensive cookie isn’t currently in your budget (and neither is waiting to see if they’ll bring it back for the holiday season), here’s a similar recipe from the Crumbl copycat queen herself! This is one of the more unique cookies on this list. I strongly recommend giving them a try!

9) Red velvet cream cheese cookies

@cookingwithkarli on Instagram

Lastly, if you’re a fan of red velvet, but a cake or batch of cupcakes is a little too demanding for your schedule or level of expertise, then voilà! The deep holiday-esque red color takes on a soft cookie form, topped with a perfect dollop of cream cheese frosting. Two classic flavors combine in these cookies, and I can’t wait to try making them myself… if I can fit them in with all of the other recipes I provided in this list.

I hope you enjoyed scavenging this article for your next delicious creation of the season! Your loved ones are bound to enjoy anything you make them, so if you’d like to step into the kitchen and bake some festive cookies with an outpouring of love and holiday cheer, this is (unofficially) the best place to get inspired.

Season’s greetings and happy baking!

Rachel Ducran

Rutgers '25

Hello! I'm currently a junior at Rutgers University, taking a major in marketing and a minor in psychology. I adore baking, retail therapy, spending time with my friends and family, and cuddling with my cat Checkers <3