Style > Beauty

What Your Favorite Skincare Brand Says About You

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Rutgers chapter.

Believe it or not, your holy grail skincare products can actually reveal quite a bit about your personality and the type of friend you are. Scroll through to find out which one you are!

The Dad Friend – CeraVe, Cetaphil

If your favorite skincare brand is CeraVe or Cetaphil, you probably have a bunch of dad jokes up your sleeve, and you’re known as the “chill, low-maintenance” friend in the group. You believe in only owning the essentials, meaning you most likely own 3 colors of the same t-shirt, you can count the number of skincare products you own on one hand, and you prefer practicality over luxury when it comes to spending money. Your skincare routine (if it exists) only takes 5 minutes or less.

The Mom Friend – The Ordinary, Paula’s Choice, First Aid Beauty

People count on you to give the best advice, pack the snacks on road trips, and arrive on time to hangouts. You’re not just capable of many things, you’re very good at them, too. You’re always willing to give a helping hand (you have definitely found yourself carrying group projects more times than you can count), and you plan ahead to prepare for worst-case scenarios. In your backpack, there are definitely at least 5 of the following items: 1) a properly charged phone, 2) charger, 3) tissues, 4) lip balm, 5) water bottle, 6) lotion, 7) earbuds, and 8) planner. 

The Plant Mom – Versed, Cocokind, Krave

You live a positive, zen lifestyle, and you love yourself a consistent, day-to-day routine. You enjoy journaling, self-care, and taking the time every once in a while to meditate. A perfect day would involve browsing at a Whole Foods or a local farmer’s market, studying at a cafe, and watching a good movie. No distractions, just you. Cute stationery, scented candles, and of course, your plant babies all have a special place in your heart. Go-to Starbucks drink? Matcha latte.

The Influencer – Glow Recipe, Farmacy, Laneige

You are the person that will take *the best* ‘gram-worthy pictures for your friends. You are quite savvy with social media, and you constantly keep up with the latest beauty and fashion trends. If your favorite skincare brand is one of these 3, you most likely own quite a lot of skincare and beauty products (hello Sephora Rouge member?), and you either have (or are dreaming about) creating your own beauty and/or fashion blog.

The Target Fanatic – Neutrogena, Burt’s Bees, Olay

You’re probably the type of person who loves shopping at Target, TJ Maxx, and Marshall’s and can spend hours browsing. You appreciate a good sale, and you know how to use your money-saving resources like Rakuten, RetailMeNot, and Honey. You don’t own anything too fancy because you’re satisfied with just a simple cleanser, moisturizer, sunscreen, and lip balm, each under $15 (you probably own a couple of 2-in-1 products to make life easier). Finally, you probably own a big tote bag chock-full of cute, mini necessities.

Did you see any of your favorites on this list? Ask your friends what their favorites are and see if they match!

Sarah Xiao

Rutgers '22

Sarah is a senior at Rutgers University studying Education with a specialization in English, Communication with a specialization in PR, and Creative Writing. She plans on becoming a language arts teacher, where she can share her passion for writing and studying literature in a middle-school classroom. In her free time, she enjoys journaling, baking, online shopping, watching thrillers and rom-coms, and creating fashion & lifestyle content on Instagram.