What Were the 18 Things That I Learned From Being a Transfer Student at Rutgers

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Rutgers chapter.

Graduation is just around the corner and I’m sure a lot of you are preparing for it by gathering all your grad necessities (cap, gown, cords, tassels… decorating your cap!). For seniors, it’s that time of reminiscence. It’s crazy to think about how being a student at Rutgers University flew by just like that and while I’m still here until the end of summer in August, I learned in these two years how this university has already prepared me for my future and made me feel like it was worth going to.

I transferred from a community college before coming over to Rutgers. I had admissions in both Monmouth University and Wagner College, however, I knew Rutgers would be the one that would not only fit my financial situation but also open up doors for me. Attending this school will be an experience I will always appreciate.

Here are 18 things that Rutgers University has taught me while being a student here:

1. I initially had a hard time adjusting to the courses but now I am able to keep up.

Being a transfer student from community college with easier courses and then going to Rutgers kicked my ass in the beginning. The level of complexity of these courses as well as the online systems provided a frustrating learning curve. Now, I can say I’m totally fine- I can keep up with these courses, figure out how to be manageable, and kick ass in them. In time, you’ll get with the program.

2.  Rutgers has challenged me but made me be a better critical thinker and an organized person.

I don’t think Monmouth University would’ve bought the same to the table. When people say Rutgers can be hard, I think it is because we are required to challenge the meaning of these concepts and theories and learn the logic behind them. It also makes you an organized person because you need to remind yourself to keep up with the deadlines of assignments!

3. I learned that being lost and asking for help is okay.

With a school so huge, with five different campuses and hundreds of students walking around on campus, many of them transfers, I figured it’s easier to simply ask someone where a place is located or how to print from the computer labs with student IDs. Hey, you’ll probably create some nice conversations with strangers.

4. Studying is important because it will make or break you.

It’s easy not to do so, but if you want your desired grades, the effort must be made. In Rutgers, not studying can easily make you slip as soon as you do receive those awesome grades.

5. Living on my own taught me what it’s like to only rely on yourself.

I think living on your own is the experience that’ll drastically change you. You’ll learn a lot about your own habits and whether they’re good or bad ones. It will make you appreciate your parents a lot more when you were living with them since now, you’ll have to cook for yourself, do your own laundry, and sometimes, you’ll feel alone but you’ll learn to cope. You’ll also learn that you need to gather your own resources and help navigate yourself.

6. Rutgers is such a welcoming place that appreciates diversity.

It inspires me and I’m sure everyone else how Rutgers University continues to support and prioritize diversity and freedom of speech. There are protests throughout the year where hundreds of students will stand by with each other to fight for others’ rights.

7. There are hundreds of opportunities at Rutgers that you can’t avoid.

There are hundreds of clubs, events, workshops, and fun gatherings that happen throughout the year. You will find yourself wanting to attend at least one of them. There are events that connect you to meet alumni, internship and career fairs to meet hundreds of potential employers, and so many workshops to help you be prepared through your college courses, perfect your resume and interview skills, and even how to meditate and be stress-free for your final exams.

8. The shuttle buses are very convenient but always crowded.

When you have a class on another campus the shuttle buses can come to the rescue. However, it will sometimes be so crowded, be the shelter of homeless people every once in a while, and pushy people will make boarding and exiting the buses pretty unpleasant.

9. The Student Centers are worth a walk for a late night bite, when too lazy to cook, or when you’re hangry.

Especially when you live on campus, I love how there is a food court setting and many food options in the student centers. I learned they are one of the best things to have around the Rutgers’ campuses.

10. Professors actually care about you and can motivate you to do better.

There are so many encouraging professors in Rutgers and they are not just there for a paycheck or to go through PowerPoint lectures, they will challenge you to do better. A lot of them also love open discussions and want to hear what you have to say. They’re only an email away!

11. Rutgers is not just a party scene but also a place to simply watch Netflix in peace at night.

Yes, Rutgers is known for its social scene but I find that staying home from a long week of assignments and exams and watching Netflix puts me to peace and regenerates my energy.

12. You’ll meet a lot of students like yourself and you’ll make friendships and connections.

There are so many different people with different personalities that attend Rutgers. You’re bound to find someone who is just like you by the end of a day spent at Rutgers. You’ll create friendships with those people and even be able to network with them and make connections that you may one day need in your professional future!

13. Joining a club can be the gateway to scholarships and many professional opportunities.

Whether you’re looking for scholarships, internships, to gain career insight from alumni, be involved in events that will change your outlook or just be there for the food, joining a club will allow you to have the constant hook ups. At Rutgers, you’ll find a club where you feel like you belong in.

14. Rutgers Day is one of the best days that a student can enjoy in the year.

Rutgers Day is the involvement of different organizations throughout the city, the hundreds of Rutgers University clubs, and many other vendors that want to show you what they’re about and educate everyone. They all just want to make it a fun day to appreciate their students and their friends and families, alumni, and non-Rutgers students. It’s one of the more memorable events I’ve gone to, for sure!

15. Rutgers appreciates their transfer students and even has a class for them to make them feel comfortable.

Transfer students are all invited to orientation days and they all are required to take a class that will guide them through the huge university with a little “passport” to be filled out as they explore academic resources and introductions, workshops, buildings on campus, and more. It makes transfers feel a little more ease being here.

16. Rutgers instills and stresses the importance of being career-oriented and prepared in seeking a job.

I can’t tell you enough how a lot of classes encouraged me to create a LinkedIn and perfect my resume. They will prep you in any way to be prepared for your big days to come and they want you to gain experience in the field you’re learning in. I mean, why not, if it requires you to throw in thousands of dollars (or loans) to go to Rutgers.

17. There are many Rutgers Facebook groups that connect you to students that will provide you with resources or if you have to express a need.

I don’t know where I’d be able to find an off-campus house to live in last minute without joining a Rutgers Facebook group. There are so many groups to join and you can let them know if a student lost their student ID, advertise a class survey you made to get people to take it, advertise a poll to have people vote in, sell a textbook or iClicker, or anything else!

18. Commuting from Rutgers is a pain in the ass.

When I was a commuter for a year, I used to be stuck in heavy traffic towards Route 18, especially when rush hour time hit. It was painful every second driving and sitting through it, but I would not have it any other way when I had no choice to be a commuter and had to attend my classes at Rutgers.

I'm a senior in Rutgers University majoring in Strategic Communication and Public Relations. I am currently a marketing coordinator, a marketing freelancer, and a travel blogger on the side for From1Girlto1World.com. I love traveling, the outdoors, exploring cities, and museums.