This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Rutgers chapter.

Ahhh, don’t you just love the start of a new day that’s full of new possibilities? Or does the sound of your alarm remind you of the day’s responsibilities? Whether you’re a morning person or not, mornings should be the time when you can give yourself a little TLC before you have to start your day. One way you can do this is through having a mindful morning routine, which is simply doing things in your morning that will help you be more intentional in taking care of your needs, feel more present, and enjoying your day.

Get Ready the Night Before

So you can make the most out of your “me time” in the morning, start preparing for the next day the night before. To do this, think about some simple tasks in the morning that feel like it occupies your time. Does picking out an outfit seem like too much decision making for the morning? Before bedtime, check the weather for the next day and spend some time picking out some outfit choices for it. Is making your breakfast or lunch too much work? You can prep by planning and making some meals you want to have this week, put them in some containers, and (ta-da!) you’re all set!

Again, choose the things that fit best for you and will make your mornings a little easier. Once we remove little tasks from our mornings, we will have a bit more freedom to accomplish what we want to do.  

Take Care of Your Mind

Our mindsets play such a big role in our lives so we must try to nurture our minds in any way we can. Feeding our minds with positive things and learning to let go of the negative can help us have a clearer and motivated mindset. Journaling is one way you can do this by writing out your feelings, your goals for the day, or anything else that will ease your mind. Meditation also can help you become more aligned with yourself and release any negative thoughts. 

Also, try to stay off your phone first thing when you wake up. It’s tempting to want to scroll, but consuming yourself with the world’s needs before your own can make you feel a bit crazy. Our text messages, social media, and emails won’t disappear, but the time spent being with yourself will.

Move Your Body

When we first wake up, working up a sweat is probably the last thing we want to do. However, moving your body in the morning can bring great benefits to you physically and mentally. Exercising can help you boost your mood, naturally energize you, and help you focus more. If you’re not into exercising, you can try doing yoga or some simple stretches. Yoga and stretching can help you release any tension in your body, improve your posture, and relieve any stress that you might have. 

There are so many fun workouts and stretching routines on YouTube that can help you get fit and flexible right in your room! To start, check out The Fitness Marshall for some dancing, Blogilates for some pilates, and Yoga with Adriene for some yoga!

Do Something That Makes You Happy

Your mornings should contain positive vibes only, and what better way to do that by doing one of your favorite things? Get inspired by listening to a podcast or sing your heart out to your playlist as you get ready for the day. Drink some warm tea and read your favorite book. Spice up your skincare routine by doing a face mask in the morning. Whatever brings you joy, add it into your routine—you’ll feel so good!

In the end, your morning should be about doing what makes you feel excited and set for the day. Do things at your own pace and enjoy your “me time”. Play around and discover which things fit with your lifestyle and will be the most beneficial into making your morning the best it can be. The mood of your day is in your hands, so make it a great one!

Zakiya Jones

Rutgers '23

Zakiya is a senior at Rutgers University with a major in Communication specializing in Strategic Public Communication and Public Relations. She is a contributing writer for Her Campus Rutgers and is so happy to be a part of the Her Campus Rutgers team!
Aishwarya Sridhar is a senior at Rutgers University majoring in Cell Biology & Neuroscience and double minoring in Psychology and Health & Society. You can usually find her studying in a library or curled up on her favorite couch with a cup of coffee and a good book.