Wellness > Sex + Relationships

Valentine’s Day Across the World

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Rutgers chapter.

Every year around the end of January, CVS reminds me of Valentine’s Day and mostly how I still don’t have a boyfriend in my life to celebrate it with. When I walk into the grocery store or pharmacy in town, I am hit with the red and pink colors of packaged chocolate and decorations. Chocolates, flowers and cards were always popular items to give to loved ones on February 14th. You could almost say that gift-giving is the trademark tradition of this holiday, as even in countries outside of the United States celebrates Valentine’s day in this manner. But, there are also a few differences in the Valentine’s Day culture that are unique to other countries. Some even have more than one special day for showing affection towards another person.  

Italy

One of the origin stories of Valentine’s Day takes place in the Roman Empire, where a priest named St. Valentine was martyred on February 14th. Valentine’s Day is also connected with a festival for the Roman gods and goddesses, but the traditions that took place many years ago have evolved from mythological to commercial. Italy has several Valentine’s Day customs that differ from the standard trade of Valentine’s Day cards and candy. In one of these traditions called the “Lucchetti dell’Amore” (Locks of Love), couples will go to various public spaces and connect their padlocks. The source of this is from a famous book called the “Ho Voglio di Te” (“I Want You”) by Federico Moccia, where the characters tie their padlock with their names on it and then throw the key down to the river below.

Brazil

Unlike the others in this list, Brazil’s “Dia dos Namorados” (Lover’s day) takes place on June 12th. The celebration of couples and gift exchanges are moved to this date because St. Anthony’s day takes place right after the night of Dia dos Namorados. St. Anthony is thematically related to Dia dos Namorados, as he was a Portuguese Catholic priest who gave blessings to couples and their marriages. But the festivities of Dua dos Namorados are not just for couples to participate in, because different performances are organized for everyone to enjoy. This way, there is something for everyone to take part in- not even singles are left out of the fun on this day.

Japan

In Japan, Valentine’s day plays similarly to the United States in the act of giving chocolates to peers and loved ones. But in Japan, February 14th is the time for women, not men, to hand out the chocolate, which could go from the more sentimentally homemade to simply store bought. There is a seperate day for men to respond towards the presents they received, which is called “White Day”. White Day takes place exactly one month from Valentine’s day, on March 14th. The men usually give back confectionaries and sometimes even more expensive presents such as jewelry. On this day, the gift exchanges are completed until next year’s Valentine’s day. Or maybe not, depending on whether there is anything to receive in the first place…

South Korea

Similar to Japan, they have both Valentine’s Day and White Day, as several other asian countries follow. Singles need to wait until April 14th and get past the lovey-doveyness to celebrate their own holiday: Black day, where they dress in black and gather to eat a popular Korean-chinese fusion dish called “Jjajangmyun”. These savory noodles are covered in black bean sauce and are served with some meat and vegetables, such as beef, onions and cucumbers. Even if you were surrounded by chocolates that were never meant to be yours, you could always treat yourself by drowning in comfort food.

This event that’s specifically for singles is particularly significant due to the fact that there are thirteen holidays in South Korea that are dedicated towards couples, so you got to have something for those without a partner.

It’s always interesting to compare the holiday traditions that are done in different countries. But whether it’s in Europe, South America, or Asia, Valentine’s Day has the same main purpose of showing that you care about another person.

Miriam Kim

Rutgers '23

Miriam is a student at Rutgers University working towards English/Information Technology and Informatics majors. Her top interests are creative writing, traveling, and literature.