This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Rutgers chapter.

Something that people promise to do in the new year is to read more books, which is a great activity to do. There are many benefits to reading such as reducing stress, building vocabulary and alleviating depression symptoms, says Healthline. With a plethora of novels available, it is easy to get overwhelmed with which book to read first. For those who need assistance, or are longtime readers wanting something new, here are four books that are anticipated to be released this year.

“Film for Her” by Orion Carloto

Release Date: Fall 2020

Described as “a storybook of people, places, and memories,” Orion Carloto shared the title of her second collection of poetry and prose, Film for Her, through her social media platforms. Carloto is no stranger to recording her experiences, as she has previously written in her debut book Flux, which deals with heartbreak, nostalgia, and solitude. She also has a YouTube channel where she documents parts of her life and creates visuals of her poetry. An interesting tidbit is that Carloto has a second Instagram account called “film for her,” which has been posting images since 2016. While not having a set release date, the book is sure to bring readers on an emotional ride through Carloto’s life.

Click here to pre-order.

“Joy at Work: Organizing Your Professional Life” by Marie Kondo and Scott Sonenshein

Release Date: April 7, 2020 

Many recognize Marie Kondo for her technique of decluttering household items by determining whether they “spark joy” or not from her book The Life-Changing Magic of Tidying Up: The Japanese Art of Decluttering and Organizing. The end goal of this method is to minimize the amount of unnecessary clutter one has, which has helped many as noted in her Netflix show. In her new book, Kondo is helping those who need help tidying up their workplace. Along with Scott Sonenshein, a business professor at Rice University, the duo will offer tips and strategies on having an organized workspace to be more productive.

Click here to pre-order.

“Memoirs and Misinformation” by Jim Carrey and Dana Vachon

Release Date: May 5, 2020

People know Jim Carrey as a well-known, successful actor. But there has to be more than meets the eye, right? In Memoirs and Misinformation, Jim Carrey and writer Dana Vachon join forces to concoct a semi-autobiographical novel about Jim’s career, focusing on the highs and lows of an actor’s life in Hollywood. Carrey describes this book as, “None of this is real and all of it is true,” which indicates that some of the events that take place in the novel are over-exaggerated but hold some truth to them. The book will be an alluring read, bringing joy and an element of surprise to readers.

Click here to pre-order.

“The Margot Affair” by Sanaё Lemoine

Release Date: June 16, 2020

This fiction novel tells the story of Margot Louve, the daughter of a French politician and a stage actress. Even though her parents are known to the public, she is being kept a secret since she is the product of a love affair. Wanting to be seen and heard, she meets a respected journalist during the summer of her seventeenth birthday, ready to tell her truth to the world. However, Margot soon discovers how an impulsive decision can lead to the destruction of her family’s life. The Margot Affair is Sanaё Lemoine’s debut novel and promises to be a great read since she is already receiving praise for her work. A story of deceit and loneliness, the book offers an in-depth look at life in the shadows and the desperation to be known. On her website, Lemoine has a fun, interactive feature that shows recipes of what Margot ate, which alludes to Lemoines’s past work as a recipe writer. This novel is a must-read for those interested in secrets, breaking free and French life.

Click here to pre-order.

Books are a great place to gain insightful information or to view a different world and become emotionally invested in it. There are only so many lessons and experiences one book can contain, which is why reading more books is great in elevating social perception and, according to a study done by Yale University School of Public Health, contributing to a longer life. In the wise words of Dr. Seuss, “The more that you read, the more things you will know. The more that you learn, the more places you’ll go.”

Selena is an alumni of Rutgers University. She received her B.A. in Journalism and Media Studies with a minor in American Studies. She enjoys writing, attending concerts, traveling, and creating crafts.
Cassidy hails from Delaware County, Pennsylvania and is an undergraduate Journalism and Media Studies major and Psychology minor at Rutgers University with a passion for telling stories. She is the current Co-Campus Correspondent for Her Campus Rutgers.