This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Rutgers chapter.

If you’re looking for some new movie recommendations, then you’ve come to the right place! Throughout quarantine, I have watched a lot of movies that I’ve always been meaning to check out, so I’ve compiled this list of some of my favorites. This list has a combination of new movies, old movies, classics, and based on true story films, so there is something for everyone!

Star Wars (1977-2019)

During these uncertain times, sometimes you may just want to leave planet Earth for a moment, and with the Star Wars series, you certainly can! There are so many lessons to be learned from these movies and iconic quotes to take with you like “Help me, Obi-Wan Kenobi. You’re my only hope,” which is said by Leia Organa. I watched the entire series this summer, and my favorite film is Episode III – Revenge of the Sith, which showcases Anakin Skywalker’s demise and the rise of Darth Vader.

The Invisible Man (2020) – TW: Suicide, Dating Violence

Cecilia, played by Elisabeth Moss, escapes her abusive boyfriend’s house one night with the help of her sister. Soon after, she discovers that her boyfriend has committed suicide, yet she still can feel his presence following her. This horror film explores interpersonal violence in a way that relates to a woman’s experience after leaving an abusive relationship. Cecilia explains, “He was in complete control of everything. Including me. He controlled how I looked, what I wore, what I ate. Then he was controlling when I left the house. What I said. Eventually what I thought.”

Black Panther (2018)

Set in Wakanda, Chadwick Boseman plays the Black Panther, serving as a role model to young Black kids and the Black community. There has been a lack of representation in films for Black lives, and this film is a step in the right direction. This is the first Marvel movie to include an almost entirely Black cast, and through their storytelling, the cast is able to explore what it means to be Black in America and in the world. Its symbolism is seen in Wakanda itself as it is described as a hidden place in plain sight, which shows how people overlook the power of Black people.

Eat Pray Love (2010)

If you miss traveling, I recommend Eat Pray Love. Liz Gilbert, played by Julia Roberts, captivates viewers on her journey of self-discovery as she travels from New York City to Italy, India, and Bali. She goes on this journey in order to form a better relationship with herself since her past relationships have consumed her energy. This film is heartwarming, inspiring, uplifting, and a necessary watch for young adults who are still growing and figuring themselves out.

Crazy, Stupid, Love (2011)

Jacob Palmer (Ryan Gosling), a player and heartthrob, meets Cal Weaver (Steve Carell), a 40-year-old single man, at a bar one night that reminds him of his father. Jacob takes Cal on a journey of rediscovering his manhood while going through a divorce. This film’s popularity derives from its humor, irony, chemistry, and fantastic plot twist!

The Parent Trap (1998)

Looking for a film to take you back to your childhood? The Parent Trap stars Lindsey Lohan playing both Annie and Hallie, a set of twins separated at birth due to their parents’ divorce. The twins meet one summer at camp and devise a plan to switch places to meet each of their parents in an attempt to bring their family back together.

Revolutionary Road (2008)

Leonardo DiCaprio fans will love his performance as Frank Wheeler in Revolutionary Road. Frank and April Wheeler dreamed big at the start of their relationship and were ambitious to travel to Paris one day but end up settling down in a suburban home on Revolutionary Road. The couple plans an escape to Paris, but as they do their relationship comes crumbling down. This drama showcases how the American Dream can turn into your worst nightmare.

Memento (2000)

In Christopher Nolan’s Memento, Leonard (Guy Pearce) was in an accident that left him unable to form new memories. He cannot remember what happened 15 minutes ago, where he’s going, or why. Through this fantastic screenplay and Nolan’s directing the audience is able to feel the same effects of anterograde amnesia that Leonard is facing as he tracks down his wife’s killer.

Bad Education (2020)

Based on a true story, Hugh Jackman plays superintendent Frank Tassone, a beloved educator that has secretly been stealing $11.2 million over the course of a dozen years. With the help of Pam Gluckin (Allison Janney), the assistant superintendent, they hide this embezzlement scandal until Rachel Bhargava (Geraldine Viswanathan), a student at Roslyn High School, cracks the code.

Lady Bird (2017)

There is something about A24 Films that just hits home. Lady Bird is a coming of age story of a young teenage girl from Sacramento who strives to find herself as she goes through high school. As she makes new friends and dates new people, she struggles to find a relationship that makes her feel secure in herself. Her unsteady relationships stem from her relationship with her mother, but as the film reaches its closure, Lady Bird is able to see that her mother does love her. This film accurately depicts experiences felt by teenagers with an anxious attachment style, which brings a new story to your typical coming of age film.

I hope you’ve found some movies to add to your list! I recommend grabbing a bucket of popcorn, snacks, and friends to enhance the movie theatre experience. Some of these movies are on Netflix, so you can always throw a virtual Netflix Party. Enjoy!

Nicole Vega

Rutgers '23

Nicole is a rising sophomore at Rutgers University that plans to major in Social Work. She is passionate about music, theatre, and mental health awareness.
Aishwarya Sridhar is a senior at Rutgers University majoring in Cell Biology & Neuroscience and double minoring in Psychology and Health & Society. You can usually find her studying in a library or curled up on her favorite couch with a cup of coffee and a good book.