Tips for Successfully Completing NaNoWriMo This Fall

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Rutgers chapter.

Autumn isn’t just the season of leaves changing colors, sweater weather, and pumpkin spiced everything. It’s also when National Novel Writing Month occurs, taking place throughout the entire month of November. Also known as NaNoWriMo, it’s an annual writing project where writers attempt to write a 50,000 word story in the span of one month. To put that in perspective, that would be writing approximately 200 pages!

As someone who loves to write stories, specifically fantasy, I remember finishing my first novel during NaNoWriMo a few years ago. I was someone who always started stories but never committed, so the challenge was a way for me to stick to one project. It was honestly one of the most stressful but fun experiences of my life. Not only did I write more than I had ever written in my entire life, but I also grew as a writer because I learned how to stop doubting my skills and just start putting words on a page.

Even though it’s not November 1st, you can still take on the challenge of NaNoWriMo! Whether you want to write a full fledged novel or just write a few words each day, the challenge is meant to get you writing as much as possible. Here are some tips for successfully finishing the challenge:

Do NaNoWriMo with friends

If you have any friends who also like writing, definitely do the challenge with them. It’s much more fun writing when you have a friend beside you to support you and share in the frustrations of the inevitable writer’s block. Even if you don’t know anyone willing to participate in the challenge, you can also join the forum on the official NaNoWriMo website and find a community online to write with.

Decide if you’re a planner or a pantser

According to the NaNoWriMo blog, there are two types of writers. Planners, true to their name, plan out the characters, setting and story before writing the actual story. On the other hand, “pantsers” just start with a vague idea of a story, going with the flow and seeing where their writing takes them. It’s important to figure out your individual writing style, so that you can write the best story possible for yourself.

Schedule a time to write every day

Especially as a college student, life gets busy. It’s easy to let writing fall by the wayside, but if you push off writing too much, you’ll end up with an unfinished story by the end of November. Even if it’s just a half hour each morning or night, dedicate a block of time in your day to just writing to keep yourself accountable.

Keep on writing no matter what

The most important thing when it comes to NaNoWriMo is continuing to write, even if you get writer’s block. If you’re stuck, just skip the scene and move on to another one, or write something else so you at least have words down on the page. The point of NaNoWriMo is to abandon perfectionist tendencies and have something written, even if it’s not what you think is your best work.

If you’re done all the typical fall things like pumpkin picking, sipping seasonal drinks, or fall clothing shopping, give NaNoWriMo a try! Even if you don’t write the 50,000 words, at the end of the month you’ll definitely feel accomplished as a writer if you at least attempt it. Good luck!

Hey, my name is Catherine Nguyen and I'm an undergraduate student at RU-New Brunswick! I'm planning on double majoring in English and actuarial mathematics. I love 90's hip hop, pineapple pizza and reading.
Keoni Nguyen is a former undergrad student at Rutgers University and the former Co-Campus Correspondent of Her Campus Rutgers (2018-2019).