This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Rutgers chapter.

There are many college students all over the US who come in hope of achieving a bachelor’s degree and to ultimately make a successful future for themselves. But attending college is not just about picking the right classes, achieving above a 3.0 GPA, and graduating. It is also a time for gaining work experience and entering the workplace. Internships are the answer for getting work experience during college and are helpful when seeking a full time job. But the question every student asks is how to get internships. Connecting personally with professors, attending career fairs and networking events are all helpful, but in my opinion, it is the most important to connect and network through Linkedin. That way, it is much easier to connect with, keep in touch, and know who works with which company. Here are some tips on making a Linkedin

1) Keep your Linkedin profile professional!

Write down proper work experience, skills, and summary about yourself with proper grammar. Professionals will see your profile and qualifications, where it is important to make a good first impression

2) Get a professional profile picture!

Don’t take a selfie as your profile picture, as it doesn’t look professional. Keep an eye out for events happening on campus where you can get a professional picture taken for free (example: Career Fairs).

3) Don’t be afraid to add and reach out to connections!

They are the best way to build your network when looking for internships/jobs. It’s a great way to keep in touch and reach out for opportunities.

4) After a career fair/networking event, be sure connect with the recruiters on Linkedin!

That way they will remember you, shows you are more interested in working for their company, and are more likely to forward your resume for consideration for a position.

If you have no idea how to get started with making a Linkedin, take advantages of resources and make an appointment with Career Services, who will be more than happy to help you get started. Since my previous internship, I have become an expert on making a Linkedin and how to reach out to professionals, which I know will help me in my career.