This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Rutgers chapter.

More is not always better, especially when it comes to packing for your dorm. It might seem tempting to fill up as many suitcases and boxes as you can “just in case,” but that leaves you with a cluttered dorm and more to clean out at the end of the semester. Especially with the growing trend of minimalism, being careful with what you pack can even help you feel less overwhelmed later on. Of course, it’s all up to you—if you feel more reassured bringing more than what you need, by all means pack whatever is best for you. If you’re hoping to cut down on the amount of things in your dorm though, here’s a list of a few things I brought and personally wish I left home.

Workout Equipment

Starting college meant upping my workout game, so I decided to bring a yoga mat and some dumbbells to exercise. The workout equipment ended up being pointless, and the only time I can remember taking out my yoga mat was to take a nap after an exhausting day of classes. Especially at Rutgers, there are plenty of opportunities for you to work out besides the cramped quarters of your dorm. Besides, why would you want to exercise and sweat in the same room where you sleep?

Every day, there are a variety of workout classes you can try at each of the four gyms, ranging from yoga to lifting weights. The fitness centers are also open every day from early morning to late at night, so you can definitely squeeze in a workout between classes. Finally, if you prefer a more competitive edge, there are also tons of recreational club sports, including Quidditch, rock climbing and skiing if you’re feeling more adventurous.

Way Too Many Clothes

Everyone wants to dress to impress, but having too many clothing options can sometimes be paralyzing. After all, how many times have you stared at your closet full of clothes and still thought you had nothing to wear? College might be the perfect time for you to downsize and select only the most essential pieces, otherwise known as a capsule wardrobe. When I moved in last year, I dumped dozens of random tops and pants into a box because I didn’t want to run out of outfits. Some of these clothes I had never worn in high school, but decided to bring to college anyways.

After months of exams and walking outside in the freezing cold, I ended up wearing the pieces that I loved most, not what was trendy at the time. And since New Jersey switches from blazing summer heat to polar vortex freezing in a matter of months, it’s also best to swap out summer clothes with heavier coats and boots over holiday breaks in the middle of the semester. If you’re considering bringing an article of clothing you might wear, leave it at home and only bring the clothes you’ve worn before and definitely will continue to wear.

Random School Supplies

As a stationary aficionado, I was armed at the beginning of the semester with fancy Post-It notes, staplers, tape, paper clips and highlighters. In the end, all of these items ended up just taking up space in my drawer. Nowadays, many of your assignments can be done online, so all you really need for class is a laptop (and the occasional notebook and pencil). Everything else really isn’t necessary, and if you really need these items, you can always find staplers and paper clips at each of the libraries and printing centers around campus.

Furniture Already In the Dorm

As much as I love my desk chair and floor lamp, your dorm already comes with a lot of the furniture you might need. Furthermore, you may not be allowed to bring certain items, such as microwaves, if there’s already one in the dorm. Be sure to check the amenities for your residence hall to make sure you’re not bringing any duplicates!

(GIPHY)

There are countless checklists for what you need to bring to college, but what is equally as important is being mindful of what you bring to make sure nothing is just collecting dust in your dorm. This is just a brief list of what I personally regretted bringing, so it may not apply to everyone. However, it’s still worthwhile to look through what’s in your dorm and see what “brings you joy” (as Marie Kondo puts it) and what doesn’t.

Hey, my name is Catherine Nguyen and I'm an undergraduate student at RU-New Brunswick! I'm planning on double majoring in English and actuarial mathematics. I love 90's hip hop, pineapple pizza and reading.
Cassidy hails from Delaware County, Pennsylvania and is an undergraduate Journalism and Media Studies major and Psychology minor at Rutgers University with a passion for telling stories. She is the current Co-Campus Correspondent for Her Campus Rutgers.