The Spill of the Forgotten Keystone Pipeline

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Rutgers chapter.

Around this time last year, many activists across the United States resisted the construction of the Dakota Access Pipeline by “standing with Standing Rock.” There were hashtags, such as #noDAPL and #StandwithStandingRock, along with a rallied political conversation around the importance of fighting against crude oil to preserve sacred lands and the environment.

A small victory emerged as the Dakota Access Pipeline, or DAPL, was ultimately prevented. However, rather than halt construction, the plans were replaced by the Keystone Pipeline.

Approved by President Trump in his first wave of executive orders, the Keystone system bypassed the sacred Sioux lands but posed the same environmental threat that crude, or “dirty,” oil issues. Even though the legal rights of the Stand Rock Sioux Tribe were upheld, the dangers of the pipeline still ensued.

And these threats proved to be true. The pipeline, which stretches from Alberta, Canada to oil refineries in Texas and Illinois, leaked 210,000 gallons of crude oil in South Dakota on Nov. 16. According to CNN, crews that were working on the pipeline stopped operations and have begun an internal investigation. A spokesperson for the state’s Department of Environmental and Natural Resources called the Keystone oil spill the largest to date in South Dakota.

Photo Source

“An aerial view of the Keystone Pipeline spill in South Dakota on Nov. 16 that seems to appear as a enormous brown stain on the landscape.”

The oil spill came just days before Nebraska voted to approve an expansion of the pipeline on Monday called the Keystone XL, a project that would move around 830,000 extra barrels of Canadian oil through the Midwest. A 2011 law prevented Nebraska, who sits as a decider, from considering last week’s spill in their decision.

Publically, something has changed in the conversation about these pipelines. In the wake of the spill, there was no direct spotlight that provoked the same outrage as #noDAPL, nor was there a headlining conversation about how bad the leak actually is.

So, here are a few points showing the forgotten pipeline’s recent behavior.

The Leaked Oil

The type of oil that flows through the Keystone Pipeline, and the subsequently approved Keystone XL, is called diluted bitumen. This thick, tar-like substance makes leaks hard to notice (let alone the fact that it is one of the dirtiest fuels in the world).

Unlike other crude oils, bitumen comes from sand and must be diluted with water to be removed for use. Even without a major leak, this process depletes and pollutes freshwater sources.

Moreover, diluted bitumen spills seep into the soil and riverbeds. Because of its density, this type of oil sinks rather than floats, making it hard to detect and clean up.

Contamination

Oil spills of any kind cause issues in the soil and water supply of the area. Officials said the spill in South Dakota was far from sites where drinking water is gathered, meaning communities were not directly harmed by the tar.

Yet, at the moment there is no way to know if the spill will avoid leaking into waterways. Plus, opponents have warned that the pipeline could harm many animals and destroy their habitats during the construction.

TransCanada

TransCanada is the corporation that owns and operates the pipeline. They estimated that 200,000 gallons of oil was spilled on Nov. 16, however a nearby landowner and member of the Dakota Rural Action Group told Vice News that the spill could stretch to 600,000 gallons.

When a smaller spill occurred in April 2016, TransCanada changed its estimated damage from 187 to 16,800 gallons. It should not be assumed that this was done maliciously, however it should be recognized that the nature of this harmful resource is hard to predict when spilled.

Keystone XL

The Keystone XL is an $8 Billion extension that received the green light from the Nebraska Public Service Commission on Monday Nov. 20 after a nine year effort. The route would begin at the mutual location in Alberta and follow down the U.S. to the Texas gulf coast.

The approved pipeline does not harm Nebraska’s Sandhills region, a fragile ecological system, which was a main factor that hindered previous decisions by the commission. Still, not all members complied with the approval. Nebraska state commissioner Chrystal Rhoades voted against the project and expressed her concerns for future spills by writing, “No infrastructure ever designed has lasted for eternity and there is no reason to believe this pipeline will be an exception.”

According to the Washington Post, The Keystone XL approval also allows President Trump to claim victory over a campaign issue he fought for in his first weeks at the White House.

Job Creation

The argument behind the construction of the Keystone Pipeline and the Keystone XL expansion is centered on job creation. In fact, many supporters have cited a study stating around 42,100 total jobs would come as a result of the construction. These jobs would range from the actual build, to local restaurants and businesses surrounding the area.

The catch is only a mere 50 jobs are estimated to permanently come from the site. This means that the temporary employment acts as a band aid to solve the issue of jobs. There is no sustainability here; not in the job market or the environment.  

Ultimate Impact?

It may be too speculative to assume an already faulty pipeline’s extension is a recipe for environmental disaster; having both the potential to affect freshwater resources and poison communities.

But for now, we must hope the tar on all spectrums gets cleaned up soon.

Photo Source

Julia DeAngelo is an aspiring journalist looking to marry politics, law and art. A junior at Rutgers University studying Journalism and Art History, she can be found looking seriously confused in art galleries or having existential crises in the corner of your local coffee shop. Her work has been featured in newspapers and publications such as the Star-Ledger, the Staten Island Advance, nj.com and Trim Magazine. Follow Julia on twitter at @julia_deangelo