Sorority Spotlight: Delta Gamma

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Rutgers chapter.

Here at Rutgers University, we have over 85 different Greek organizations! Sorority Spotlight helps readers learn more about specific sororities and makes Greek life easier to navigate for those interested.

Our next sorority is Delta Gamma-Epsilon Psi Chapter. This chapter was founded at Rutgers in 1985, but the sorority itself was founded in 1873 in Mississippi by three young women. Delta Gamma emphasizes service and character, determined to make the world a better place. The sorority’s symbol is the anchor and its colors are bronze, pink, and blue. Nowadays, there are 151 active chapters of Delta Gamma throughout North America. However, the Epsilon Psi chapter is the only one in New Jersey!

To learn more about life in Dee Gee, I interviewed Madison, another member of Her Campus Rutgers. She joined the chapter this semester.

HC: What made you choose to join a sorority?

M: I decided to join a sorority because I wanted to find a smaller community I can be a member of within Rutgers. Rutgers, as you know, is a huge school, and at times I often felt lost within the crowd. Joining a sorority has made the school appear much smaller than it actually is.

HC: What makes Delta Gamma unique?

M: Our philanthropy! Delta Gamma’s philanthropy is Service for Sight, which supports five schools founded by Delta Gamma for the visually impaired. It became our official philanthropy in 1936 when it was petitioned by Ruth Billow, Eta-Akron.

HC: What’s the greatest reward of joining Delta Gamma?

M: Friendships! Of course, it takes effort to build friendships, but by being a member of a sorority, these girls are now your sisters. They have your back no matter what!

HC: What’s the best memory you have with your sisters?

M: Definitely Bid Day! This is the finale to the rush process where you can now celebrate being a new member with your sisters. The girls of Delta Gamma decorated their entire house with a ‘70s-inspired theme, dressed in « flower child » clothing and colorful wigs, danced with us, and made sure we felt welcome as the new girls!

HC: What does Delta Gamma value the most?

M: Our founding members (Anna Boyd, Mary Comfort, and Eva Webb) chose the Greek letters Delta and Gamma because of their desire to « Do Good ». This is our motto, the core of our sorority, as the Delta Gamma Foundation strives to serve others.

HC: What advice to you have for students who are considering rushing?

M: Don’t be afraid! Rush can seem intimidating at first, but remember to stay calm! Whether you rush formally or informally, it is an absolute must to learn more about the respective sororities and their core values.

Remember to follow Delta Gamma’s social media to learn about upcoming events, such as Meet the Sisters events!

Follow @rutgerspanhellenic on Instagram and check out the Rutgers Panhellenic website for updates regarding Panhellenic recruitment and events, and more details on Panhellenic communities at Rutgers.

Visit the Rutgers Greek Life website for information on all Greek organizations on campus and how to get involved!

Information throughout the article was taken from the Delta Gamma website.

All photos are from Delta Gamma- Epsilon Psi’s official Instagram: @rudeltagamma.

Saman is a student at Rutgers University- New Brunswick. Her interests span from science to activism to the arts. She loves to make friends, go on adventures, and stay involved in her community. She is determined to make the world a better place. Follow her Instagram: @saman.aamer
Keoni Nguyen is a former undergrad student at Rutgers University and the former Co-Campus Correspondent of Her Campus Rutgers (2018-2019).