This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Rutgers chapter.

The change of seasons and the approaching weather influence what kind of music I listen to. As we approach the heart of fall, I wanted to share some of my favorite songs that remind me of my favorite season. Not only will these songs remind you of fall, but they will also make you feel like the main character. Take a listen!

“Hear Your Heart” by James Bay

Honestly, any James Bay song will do if you’re looking for a fall ~vibe~. His raspy, yet soothing voice can brighten anyone’s mood on a dreary day. “Hear Your Heart” and frankly any James Bay song is a must-have for your fall playlist.

“Radio” by Lana Del Rey

When you think of Lana Del Rey, you might think of summer because of her hit “Summertime Sadness,” which could be heard on radio stations every hour during the summer of 2014. But Lana has so much more to offer than being sad in the summer. She can make you feel things in the fall as well!

“Hold My Girl” by George Ezra

Acoustic songs just hit differently in the fall. So does George Ezra and his melodious voice. Disclaimer: This song might leave you in happy or sad tears, depending on your mental state before listening. Proceed with caution.

“From the Dining Table” by Harry Styles

If you know me, you know I’m not going to have a playlist without the legendary Harry Edward Styles in it. Mr. Styles is someone I would listen to year-round, but some of his tunes bring me to another level in the fall, including “From the Dining Table,” from his self-titled debut album.

“Blur” by MØ ft. Foster The People

MØ is another artist who I can listen to all year long. She has a ton of upbeat, fun pop songs that are perfect for warmer weather. But as the weather cools, and my mood mellows, this song helps center me and elicits fall vibes.

“The Cave” by Mumford & Sons

If we’re talking bands, Mumford & Sons have a great discography for the fall. Their distinctive acoustic tone sounds even better blasting through the speakers of your car on an autumn drive.

“Toluca Lake (Imad Remix)” by Tep No

Whether you like EDM or not, I’m here to put you on this song. This remixed version of “Toluca Lake” makes me want to have a socially distanced dance party on a crisp, fall night.

“Temporary Love” by The Brinks

Fall is the season in which I truly appreciate the beauty of indie music. I discovered this song in high school, and I keep coming back to it every year because of the way it makes me feel.

“Spirits” by The Strumbellas

I distinctly remember hearing this song for the first time when I was at the Hard Rock Cafe in CityWalk at Universal Orlando in 2016. It’s stayed with me throughout the years, and it’s recently become a popular song on TikTok, which I love because everyone deserves to hear this gem.

“Ribs” by Lorde

Not having a Lorde song on your fall playlist should be considered a crime against humanity. Her rawness is eluded in this song, and the nostalgia it evokes is very real.

“Fire and the Flood” by Vance Joy

Vance Joy is another artist who only delivers bops. “Fire and the Flood” in particular, makes me feel like I’m in a coming-of-age film set in the middle of nowhere. Obviously, the season is fall and I’m laying in a pile of leaves, philosophizing.

“Stubborn Love” by The Lumineers

Listening to The Lumineers is definitely a form of self-care. This song is cathartic for me, and assists in kicking seasonal depression’s butt.

So what are you waiting for? Head over to your preferred music streaming service and add these songs to your playlist ASAP! I hope they give you the same serotonin boost they give me this season.

Sam F

Rutgers '21