The Sleep Revolution

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Rutgers chapter.

Arianna Huffington’s new book The Sleep Revolution tackles one of the biggest issues in the world today: sleep deprivation. As college students, it sometimes feels as though we are stuck in an endless cycle of work and anxiety that makes it difficult for us to go to bed on time and sleep soundly through the night. Technology, with its glowing light, makes it especially hard to sleep well.

Sleep deprivation has become synonymous with hard work; often we stay up late to complete papers and study for exams. We continuously brag about these things, as if they make us better people. Arianna explains that not getting enough sleep can lead to serious health problems, including heart disease, Alzheimer’s, and cancer.  By depriving ourselves of sleep, we put ourselves at risk for dangerous disease. Sleep deprivation impacts all people, and Huffington argues that being successful can be attributed to sleeping more. Getting enough sleep can mean a more productive workday, leading to higher quality performance overall.  Sleep, asserts Arianna, is the key to success.

The Sleep Revolution offers advice on how to transform your sleeping habits one night at a time to make you a healthier, more successful individual. For example, napping, college students will be happy to know, can help alleviate the negative effects of sleep deprivation. Below are Arianna’s tips for better sleep.

Some of the items that can make sleep even better are pictured below. A great pillow and mattress are always important for making the most out of your time under the covers. If you are having trouble falling asleep, a white noise sound machine can help. Life can be loud, and this portable sound machine can help your environment become quieter and more relaxing. To see how you are sleeping, a sleep tracker can provide assistance. A sleep tracker can inform you about your sleep environment and how to improve it, and also can gently wake you up. The Sleep Revolution provides invaluable information about sleep that you cannot afford to miss.

Here’s to transforming our lives, one night at a time!

Born and raised in Northern New Jersey, Faith attends Rutgers University in New Brunswick, where she plans to major in Psychology and minor in Philosophy and Criminology.  Faith enjoys writing and traveling. She loves cats, books, and the color blue. In the future, Faith would like to attend law school.