Life > Experiences

Sad-Girl-Situationship Songs to Add to Your Winter Playlist– But They’re All in Chinese

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Rutgers chapter.

So you can tell people you listen to ‘underground’ Chinese indie and automatically be perceived as that much cooler.

Chinese indie pop has some of the most melancholic, heart-wrenching songs that perfectly encapsulate the pains of being in a situationship. Not quite sure if you’re lovers, friends, or expert-level texting buddies? These songs are your escape route to daydream city. Here are 5 Chinese songs from my playlist that I’ve had on repeat, and will continue to have on repeat as the temperatures drop alongside my hope for this relationship to work out. If you’re a fan of artists like Lana Del Rey, Bôa, Taylor Swift, and Beabadoobee like I am, you may just enjoy these artists too.

Too Smart – Cheer Chen

Cheer Chen has a voice that reflects the cheeriness of her name. With a sweet and innocent sound accompanied by basic guitar chords, her songs are reminiscent of Beabadoobee’s music and even certain tracks from Taylor Swift’s Folklore. Her creative (and slightly unhinged) persona speaks to many young artists today. Her songs are like a musical hug for all the yearning and confusion life throws your way. 

“Too Smart” by Cheer Chen is often regarded as the “INFP anthem”, capturing the delicate dance of feeler personalities around crushes as they attempt to calculate their emotions, constantly trying to determine if they feel the same spark. The lyrics paint a vivid picture:

“I always thought I was enigmatic as a riddle, / but when you saw right through me, I realized I wasn’t much of a mystery at all. / I’m always hot then cold, / hiding my emotions. / I was just afraid that you’d see right through my heart too”.

River – leah dou

Leah Dou is daughter of two iconic musical geniuses: Faye Wong, singer and actress (who you may know from Wong Kar Wai’s Chungking Express), and Dou Wei, legendary alternative-rock singer. She was struck with the musical gene, studied at Berklee School of Music, and now makes funky experimental music. Not only celebrated for her distinctive sound, Leah Dou has become a sensation within the Chinese LGBTQ+ community, embraced for both her musical talents and tomboyish aesthetic. Netizens even affectionately dubbed her the “nation’s husband.”

Her latest album, Spring Break, dropped in April of 2023, breaks new ground by delivering her only album in Chinese, diverging from her predominantly English discography. One standout track from this album is “River,” a personal favorite of mine. It’s a song characterized by romance, reliance, and risk-taking:

“If the world was ending, you’d probably end up forgetting me. / If there is no tomorrow, please just kiss me now.”

Only you – waa wei

If you’ve ever found yourself tangled in the complexities of jealousy, feeling a little lost, but a lot in love, then “Only You” is your anthem. Waa Wei is an enchantress who captures the essence of wanting someone constantly changing, all while you’re left to grapple with jealousy. She weaves the mundane but beautiful daily life into the lyrics:

“My favorite times happen with you / the most ordinary and simple days /Just gazing face to face, watching each other chew food / it’s the calmest and most comforting time.”

Then juxtaposes it with, “I don’t like what happens between you and others / It’s the most ambiguous and murky veiling. / Gazing face to face, watching each other feign normalcy. / It’s themost dreadful and most repulsive spectacle”

Seriously, this track just nails it, especially if you’ve ever found yourself entangled in the labyrinth of situationship pains.

guan yu wo ai ni – deserts Chang

Deserts Chang, also known as Deserts Xuan or Anpu, has a unique ability to infuse raw emotion into her music, and one such example is the song “Guan Yu Wo Ai Ni.” In this piece, she unveils the complexities of relationships and the pains associated with situationships, especially within the context of a sapphic connection.

A fan favorite lyric, “All I have is uncertainty, all I’ve lost is my whole life,” encapsulates how situationships have the ability to take over your entire life– sometimes it feels like ambiguity is wrecking everything you’ve put so much effort into building. This sentiment is a universal experience, but Deserts Chang brings a personal touch by sharing in a concert that the inspiration for these lyrics came from a letter written by a woman in the midst of a situationship.

The revelation during a concert adds a layer of intimacy and authenticity to the song. It’s not just a piece of art; it’s a reflection of real-life experiences, offering listeners a glimpse into the songwriter’s emotional landscape. The honesty in her storytelling resonates with those who have navigated the complexities of relationships that defy easy categorization.

So, there you have it—the wild ride of Chinese indie pop, where emotions run deep and melodies get cozy with all the feels. If you’ve ever been stuck in the swirl of situationship drama, these tracks are like your musical escape. Turn up the volume, let the melodies hug your soul, and let these Chinese indie pop tunes be the soundtrack to your love rollercoaster.

If you enjoyed these recommendations, here is my Spotify and my Apple Music for more of what I’m listening to! 

Audrey Wang

Rutgers '27

Audrey is a freshman at Rutgers University studying marketing. She is passionate about dance, literature, and all things beauty.