Chocolate Candies
Chocolate Candies
Jocelyn Hsu / Spoon

Ranking 25 of The Best and Worst Halloween Candy

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Rutgers chapter.

Halloween. For most college students, it’s a nostalgic holiday that makes them wish they were a child again so they can go trick-or-treating in their neighborhood while it is socially acceptable. I took the personal endeavor to rank the worst and best Halloween candy. Yes, I have some controversial views, but as the amazing Eugene Lee Yang says, “I’m right. You’re wrong. Shut up.” Keep that in mind. 

25. Black Licorice

In my 19 years of life, I have yet to meet someone under the age of 30 that genuinely enjoys the taste of this disgraceful invention that is passed off as “candy”. If anyone enjoys this: my deepest condolences to your taste buds. 

24. Double Bubble Gum

This gum has flavor for exactly 2.35 seconds. Enough said.

23. Good & Plenty

These are good for someone over 65 and in retirement. 

22. Blow Pops

These were okay, but there is nothing significant about it. There are so many better lollipops than Blow Pops. The gum inside the lollipop would become unsatisfyingly hard when chewed for more than 3 minutes.

21. Whoopers & Milk Duds (tied)

No one ever wanted these in the candy trade. That’s it. 

20. Laffy Taffy

The best part about Laffy Taffy candies are the cringe-worthy jokes on the wrapper that people tell their friends on the way to the next house. The flavors in this candy are great, I cannot take anything away from that. but, my teeth hurt just thinking about it.

19. Smarties 

Personally, I do not enjoy eating chalk. But, other people have argued otherwise.

18. Strawberry Bon Bons

I took the liberty of searching the name of this candy, because no one seems to know what it is actually called. These are those strawberry hard candies that has a sweet filling inside them. I’m not going to lie; these were good. 

17. Skittles

These were the cause of my cavities in the third grade that led to my silver teeth. They taste good, but, again, my teeth hurt. The best thing that happened to Skittles was that vine of the guy yelling “Skittles.”

16. Lindor

I used to get Lindor truffles in the bougie neighborhoods and would be so satisfied when I saw that I got it. As bougie as it is, nothing beats the taste of candy from the Walmart Variety Pack, sorry. They are too mature for my youthful taste buds.

15. 3 Musketeers

It’s not good. But, would I say it’s bad? I really don’t know. 

14. Nerds

I can’t hate on Nerds. They’re a classic candy that is so nostalgic. But, let’s be honest, there are candies that are so much better. 

13. KitKat

Here lies the most hyped up, bad chocolate. 3 Musketeers is worse, but at least 3 Musketeers knows it’s not good. KitKat sits there thinking it reigns as the best chocolate because it makes a cool sound when it breaks.

12. Baby Ruth

Baby Ruth is forgotten and does not get enough love.

11. Milky Way

These are good. The midnight Milky Way is even better. 

10. Starburst

It is a burst of fruity flavors. What else needs to be said?

9. Twix

I find these over-hyped, but I do not hate them. Many people love these for some odd reason. The mix of caramel, chocolate, and cookie are good, but something about it is too sweet for me.

8. Swedish Fish

Iconic. 

7. Sour Patch Kids

Even more iconic. 

6. Hersheys

Hershey’s is a classic. You can’t go wrong with it.

5. Butterfingers

Butterfingers are the unsung hero of Halloween, and too many people sleep on this delicious treat (and, yes, those people are the Twix and Kit-kat fans).

4. M&Ms

M&Ms were the candy that every kid loved, but never actively showed their love for. So, here I am showing my appreciation for this beautiful invention. 

3. Snickers

Snickers is a classic. You can’t go wrong with Snickers. Period. 

2. Candy Corn

Candy Corn haters do not understand the joy of Halloween. Despite all the hate it gets, it still stands tall and reigns as one of the best candies to ever exist. I said it and I will never take it back. So wallow in your hatred, fools. It does not affect any candy corn lovers. 

1. Reese’s

The true queen of Halloween is Reese’s. The mix of peanut butter and chocolate is timeless. It never gets old. I held onto these with my life during candy trades and I always went to the person with the peanut allergy first. 

If you disagree with any of my opinions, just remember: “I’m right. You’re wrong. Shut up.

(GIPHY)

Hey, I'm Jessie Eshak. I'm a MENA American with goals to pursue a career in film and television. My passion to the improve the poor representation of Middle-Eastern and North Africans in entertainment in front of the camera and behind it.
Cassidy hails from Delaware County, Pennsylvania and is an undergraduate Journalism and Media Studies major and Psychology minor at Rutgers University with a passion for telling stories. She is the current Co-Campus Correspondent for Her Campus Rutgers.