This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Rutgers chapter.

This past Tuesday, I participated in a National Day of Action against the Dakota Access Pipeline. Across the nation, protesters organized in nearly every major city, the agenda: NoDAPL. Since New York City is easily accessible from Rutgers, I chose to go to a protest there. My two friends and I painted signs, boarded a train, and we were on our way.

Our protest was held outside of the Army Corps of Engineers building since they hold responsibility for the pipeline’s construction. Native people have been resisting further construction on the project since August in an effort to protect their water and land. The objective of the National Day of Action was to stand in solidarity with the water protectors fighting against the pipeline in North Dakota.

The part of the protest that I found most impactful was hearing a man who currently lives at the Standing Rock camp share his story. Hearing someone’s personal account of what life is like fighting against the DAPL full time was an eye-opening and sobering experience. It motivated me to take action and get more involved in the fights of others. There may not be much I can do to stop the pipeline from New Jersey, but being there, listening to this man’s story, was at least something. Going to the protest helped me feel more connected to a community of people who care about the same things that I do. It showed me that you’re never fighting something alone, and it proved to me that no matter how many people are against you, there is always someone willing to stand with you.

Sophomore Linguistics major at Rutgers University. Probably currently eating oatmeal.