News Stories to Follow This Week

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Rutgers chapter.

Technology

Samsung Gets Shady

Samsung’s released a new  commercial this week that  takes a jab at the iPhone. The commercial depicts a side by side comparison of both a Samsung and iPhone. The goal is to show us that we need a Samsung phone in our lives, out with the apple.  One particular moment in the commercial we see both a man and woman hanging out on the couch with an adapter connector so they both can listen to music. Why did Apple ever get rid of the headphone jack again? We still don’t but the real question here is, are you team apple or team samsung after watching the commercial? 

Politics

Saudi Arabia is the first country to give citizenship to a robot

In an effort to become the developing hub for artificial intelligence, Saudi Arabia has become the first country to grant citizenship to a robot.  At the Future Investment Initiative summit in Riyadh, an artificially intelligent robot named Sophia addressed the crowd fully equipped with sarcastic remarks and facial expressions in an unprecedented event.

“I’m always happy when surrounded by smart people, who also happens to be rich and powerful.” Sophia said.

While many celebrated this feat, some raised concern that the female robot has more rights than actual women do. Unlike women in Saudi Arabia, Sophia is not required to wear a hijab, abaya or burqa and is not accompanied by a male guardian. Also, Sophia is technically a foreigner who has not converted to Islam and Saudi law does not allow non-Muslims to obtain citizenship, according to India Today.

Sophia is a product of Hanson Robotics, who have programmed her to respond conversationally to commands. At the summit on October 25, Sophia let out snide remarks and showed the audience her abilities to appear human.

News outlets have argued that the citizenship granting is part of a large PR stunt to get investors and robotics engineers to come to Saudi Arabia. Joanna Bryson, a famous scholar of A.I. ethics at the University of Bath, called the robot’s speech “obviously bullshit.”

A hashtag called #SophiaRobot has surfaced all over Twitter, with some tweeters stating how the robot was designed to look like Audrey Hepburn and others discussing the disparity of human rights. Either way, it is confusing why the Saudi government would be lax in their laws for a robot, when traditionally they hold strict limitations on their people.

Dear Mr. President,

A cyclist had little to no words for Mr. President but a whole lot of gestures. She flipped off Donald Trump’s motorcade as she cycled casually alongside the road. Turns out the following day she was fired from her job. I think we all know why she was let go.

Virginia and Danica Roem

History  was made on Election Day Tuesday November 7,2017 when the first ever transgender was elected to Virginia’s state legislature in United States history. Danica Roem is a 26 year old.

Entertainment

Body Shamers vs. Demetria Obilor

Demetria Obilor, a news traffic reporter for the Dallas News Station  was ridiculed for the things she wears on national television by body shamers this week. Telling her that she needs to wear bigger clothes and/or clothes that are less form fitting to her body. Obilor stated in a video posted on online, “This is the way that I’m built, this is the way that I was born. I’m not going anywhere, so if you don’t like it, you have your options.”

Unfortunately, what this shows is that body shaming is very real and is embedded in our culture. Just as Demetria did we must all do. Combat the negativity that is targeted against us and instead use positivity to spread awareness on the issue. All bodies are beautiful, big or small. Always love and embrace your body because all bodies are good bodies.

Photo Source

Sports

We wanted to take a minute to send our deepest condolences and prayers to MLB All-Star Roy Halladay family and friends. Halladay was the former pitcher of the Philadelphia Phillies. He  died November 7,2017 when his plane crashed in the Gulf of Mexico. Halladay had a love for planes and  prior to his death he flew often. He was known for taking videos of breathtaking cloud views from his Icon A5. We are still saddened by his loss and will miss his kind spirit and smile.

Photo Source

Photo Source: Pexels

Alexis Martin

Rutgers '19

Blogger Babe + Owl Lover. Currently a senior at Rutgers University pursuing a bachelor degree in Criminal Justice. Things I love more than HC... brunch, planning, the city, and of course Netflix! I also have a blog over at www.alexishoots.com! Go check it out if you loved this article!  
Julia DeAngelo is an aspiring journalist looking to marry politics, law and art. A junior at Rutgers University studying Journalism and Art History, she can be found looking seriously confused in art galleries or having existential crises in the corner of your local coffee shop. Her work has been featured in newspapers and publications such as the Star-Ledger, the Staten Island Advance, nj.com and Trim Magazine. Follow Julia on twitter at @julia_deangelo