This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Rutgers chapter.

The best way I can describe being a first generation immigrant is by a Marvadi phrase my parents use a lot, “Na ghaar ka na ghaat ka”. This roughly translates to, “not belonging here or there”. For me, music is a bridge for that gap. It’s given me a middle ground where I can share my parent’s culture and cultivate my own. Growing up, my dad used to record the Asian Variety Show, an Indian version of when there was music still on MTV , every Sunday. Bollywood films are the main source of music in India, and this show would play the most requested/ high ranking songs with their movie scenes. We used to watch it together and my parents would sing along. Of course I would copy them, so these songs really helped me learn my mother tongue and culture. This was my introduction to music, and these are my top five Bollywood songs. I have way more than five favorites, so sticking to five was challenging. There’s no order because each have a different mood.

BOLE CHUDIYAN

K3G (2001) is one of the most well known Bollywood movies and this song is a staple. The song starts off whimsical and then picks up the beat with tablas(drums). And throughout the song there’s tambourine sounds, which are actually the “chudiya” (bracelets with bells).

CHUDIYAN KHANAK GAYEEN

Lahme (1991) has a traditional vibe from Rajasthan.  Lata Mangeshkar is considered one of the best singers and is a legend in India. This song has the nostalgic vibe of a des(village) I’ve never had the chance to experience. The juxtaposition of the two singers’ styles make this song really interesting. 

MEHBOOBA MEHBOOBA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ByAbV-MKDgs&feature=youtu.be

Sholay (1975) was one of the longest running films in Indian theater. This song is by R.D Burman, and is a sweet romantic song covered with a dance beat. One of my favorite lyrics translated is, “ When we meet in the desert/ Flowers blossom in the gardens”.

MIL GAYA HUMKO SAATHI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lvw795FvchM&feature=youtu.be

Hum Kisise Kum Naheen (1977) takes influence from ABBA’s “Mamma Mia” to create Mil Gaya Humko Saathi. This song features Kishore Kumar and Asha Bosle, both are highly renowned singers. This song has a disco vibe with a trumpet solo break, and is also a sweet love song. “Zamana tere liye aur tu mere liye” translates to “the world for you, and you for me”.

MAAHI VE

Kal Ho Naa Ho (2003) features Richa Sharma and Sukhwinder Singh to create this masterpiece of a song that will undoubtedly be played at any Desi function. This song is a lot fun and never fails to get people dancing.

Another bridge I’ve found is combining English and Indian music. The first I’ve heard of this was through my cousin, who showed me Penn Masala. Penn Masala is a group formed in 1996 at UPenn, and is the first South Asian acapella group that fused Indian and popular English music. My top three from this group are:

VIVA LA VIDA/ JASHN-E-BAHARA

At the time Penn Masala released this, both songs were at the peak of the charts in their respective countries. The transition from Viva La Vida to Jashn-e-bahara sounds so sweet and smooth. A listen to this and you’ll  not want to hear the songs independently.

HEARTLESS/ KABHI KABHI

This mashup is nice and calm. It combines two songs with different moods and makes it work. Heartless is more vengeful, while the latter is more “it is what it is”. The overlap is sonically beautiful.

DOWN/ DESI GIRL

Desi Girl is one of the funnest Bollywood songs, and Jay Sean was the late 2000s British-Asian champion for being one of the first brown artist to break American charts. This mashup is as nostalgic as fun it is to dance to.

There’s an abundance of great Bollywood and fusion songs, but these are the ones I keep going back to and picture my parents singing along to.

Kinjal Dave

Rutgers '22

Hi I'm Kinjal Dave a sophomore in Rutgers' School of Engineering. I love music, fashion, and reading. Have a nice dayyyyy :).