My Friends’ Favorite Lyrics From Taylor Swift’s Powerful “All Too Well” (Ten Minute Version) (Taylor’s Version)

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Rutgers chapter.

I’m sure you have either heard about it or also have been constantly streaming All Too Well (Taylor’s Version)—the ten-minute version, of course. Everyone has been fawning over the story, the film, and the whole aesthetic. I completely understand all the swifties, the non-swifties, and the whole world seems to seriously resonate with all her lyrics and their passionate anger towards Jake Gyllenhaal. I asked a few of my friends who really enjoyed the song to send me a few top-tier lyrics from the song, and wanted to go into detail about a few. 

1. “They say all’s well that ends well but I’m in this new hell every time … you said if we had been closer in age maybe it would have been fine”  

This line was recommended by a friend, who seemed to really love the lyrics. This lyric really takes the phrase all’s well that ends well and makes my heartbreak even more. I think this lyric is something everyone can relate to; people have high expectations that everything will end well but the truth is that sometimes, in order to learn something, that’s not the case. I think we all know one person who is too old for us, that probably wouldn’t work. Someone like Harry Styles or Dylan O’Brien. However, the age difference might create some issues but it seems, in this case, it might have been just another excuse from a man. 

1. “And I was never good at telling jokes, but the punch line goes I’ll get older, but your lovers stay my age” 

This lyric was also chosen by many people, I talked to many people and it seemed to be a fan favorite, for it is a call out. This seems to be a trend with many Hollywood men that seem to continue to get older but continue to date women half their age. This line is definitely iconic, and can definitely get you thinking about Jake Gyllenhaal. It seems that in these types of relationships the power dynamic can be imbalanced, and can make the experience more significant in the woman’s eyes than the man’s.

1. So casually cruel in the name of being honest”   

This is by far one of Taylor’s most moving lyrics. This quote is bittersweet, honesty is all people want in a relationship but sometimes the truth hurts. When someone says goodbye and it’s for the best but it also makes you feel worthless. If there are lyrics I’d scream its these ones.

1. “You kept me like a secret, but I kept you like an oath”  

My friend sent me this lyric, and it just broke me completely. This lyric is incredibly depressing after seeing Taylor perform it, and the music video pulls the whole story together for the viewers. I don’t know about you, but I have seen this scene in too many books and too many films, where the relationship between the characters always is secret but they never end too well. Taylor really got me tearing up, and made my friends and I rethink scenarios in ways that would just let us relate to this song. 

Although all the lyrics in this 10-minute masterpiece are beautiful, these few really spoke to my friends and hope to fellow swifties and listeners globally. This past November has definitely been declared Taylor’s. Her music really connected to people on a spiritual level, where even someone like can find some part or section of the song, that I closely relate to. The impact this song has made will go down in history, and the impact of her scarf. Anyway, I think we can all take these lyrics in and think, screw you, Jake Gyllenhaal

Mihika Raman

Rutgers '25

Mihika Raman Freshman In College Majoring in Economics