Movies to Watch this Fall to Inspire You for Midterm Season

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Rutgers chapter.

Every now and then, we all need inspiration to knock us out of an unmotivated slump. When there’s a lot to study for, some of us jump right into it and begin the grind. Yet there are some of us who can’t help but resort to curling up in blankets to binge-watch T.V. shows and movies, thus procrastinating the work that lies ahead of us. If you’re anything like me, you find yourself belonging to the second category quite often. Fear not! The impending exams apocalypse can be prevented. Fortunately, I have a list of movie recommendations that will motivate you to get back to work and crush your goals after you’ve watched them. Here are some beautifully thought-provoking movies that never fail to inspire me and get my #girlboss mode on. 

The Theory Of Everything (2014)

What it taught me: Learning is beautiful. Being curious and having a positive attitude towards it will go a long way in terms of your education.

Favorite quote: “Work gives you meaning and purpose and life is empty without it.”

Legally Blonde (2001) 

What it taught me: Never underestimate yourself – even if others do. You are capable of taking on challenges and seeing them through, even with moments of difficulty. Prove the haters wrong, but more importantly, prove yourself to those who believed in you.

Favorite quote: “If you’re going to let one stupid prick ruin your life, you’re not the girl I thought you were.”

Into the Spiderverse (2018)

What it taught me: You have the power within you. All that’s needed is the dedication to practice and improve upon your gifts.

Favorite quote: “It’s a leap of faith. That’s all it is, Miles. A leap of faith.”

Dead Poets’ Society (1989)

What it taught me: Experience will always be life’s no. #1 teacher. Don’t be afraid to live and breathe all the beauty around you, to experience all that life has to offer.

Favorite quote: “Seize the day. Because, believe it or not, each and every one of us in this room is one day going to stop breathing, turn cold and die.”

Hidden Figures (2016)

What it taught me: Persevere despite circumstances beyond your control and have the courage to speak up for yourself. If you’re a woman in tech or any male-dominated field, never take no for an answer.

Favorite quote: “There is no protocol for women attending.”

“There’s no protocol for a man circling the earth either, sir.”

October Sky (1999)

What it taught me: The courage to try will always matter more than the dismay of failure. The courage to try can change your destiny.

Favorite quote: “What do you want to know about rockets?”

“Everything.”

All of the films above have a simple yet resonating theme. There’s no shortcut to success; excellence comes with hustle, hard work, and faith in oneself. I hope that these awe-inspiring tales of resilience in the face of odds move you to be the best version of yourself. Here’s to being life-long learners. 

Sanika is an undergraduate student at Rutgers University-New Brunswick studying computer science. Besides writing for HerCampus, she advocates for diversity in STEM through RUWiCS and for social issues through RUHSC. In her free time, she loves reading, biking, painting, and exploring brunch places with her friends.