multi colored chairs in row 257385?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
multi colored chairs in row 257385?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Felicity Warner / HCM

Movies I’m Looking Forward to in 2020

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Rutgers chapter.

2019 was a big year for the film industry with the release of blockbusters like The Joker, Avengers: Endgame, Spiderman: Far From Home, and The Lion King. The anticipated films of 2020 are expected to be just as successful and are something to look forward to over the course of the year. Here are four movies I’m looking forward to seeing on the big screen.

Wonder Woman 1984

I have always been a fan of the Wonder Woman comics, so when DC released a modern Wonder Woman in 2017, I went on opening night to see it and fell in love with Diana Prince’s journey, the characters, and the stunning visuals that brought Themyscira to life. I have been waiting for the sequel and am still just as excited as I was three years ago. Wonder Woman 1984 will see our titular character conflict with two foes: Maxwell Lord and the Cheetah, while reuniting with her past love interest, Steve Trevor.

The Call of the Wild

Jack London’s The Call of the Wild was a book I read back in the seventh grade, and while some of the details are fuzzy, I do remember the vivid imagery and descriptive language used throughout the novel paired with a captivating plotline. Thus, I have high hopes for this film. The story follows Buck as his comfortable life as a domestic dog in California gets uprooted when he is stolen from his home. Suddenly in Alaska as a member of a mail-delivery sled team, Buck learns more about himself as he leads his newfound adventurous lifestyle.

West Side Story

Inspired by Romeo and Juliet, West Side Story follows the love story of Tony, a member of the gang the Jets, and Maria, the sister of the leader of the rival gang, the Sharks. Having already been turned into a film in the 1960s, I’m excited to see what the 2020 remake brings to the screen. Based on the Broadway play, West Side Story features catchy songs and iconic dance scenes that I’m hoping are given a modern twist to differentiate itself from the original musical and movie.

Dune

Admittedly, I didn’t know a remake of the 1984 David Lynch movie based on the sci-fi novel by Frank Herbert was expected to be released this year. Nevertheless, I’m thrilled to see it. Dune follows Paul, the son of a noble family entrusted with the protection of the most valuable asset and most vital element in the futuristic galaxy. As a lover of sci-fi and fantasy, I’m most interested to see how the desert planet Arrakis is going to be brought to life, and am equally intrigued to hear the score, which will be composed by Hans Zimmer, a personal favorite of mine.

2020 has an impressive lineup of films to be released, but these four are the ones I am most eager to see. 2019 had an impressive lineup of films, but a lot of the movies to be released in the upcoming months definitely rival last year’s biggest films. In any event, I can’t wait to check out these films and enjoy originals and remakes of classics.

Diana Del Gaudio is a senior at Rutgers University - New Brunswick majoring in computer science and minoring in psychology. She runs on little sleep and a lot of coffee. You can find her most days writing code, writing stories, and writing songs.
Alishbah Arsalan is a graduating senior at Rutgers University majoring in Health Administration and minoring in Human Resource Management.