This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Rutgers chapter.

As you start making plans with friends to enjoy fall festivities like pumpkin-picking or going on hayrides, you may also be wondering what perfect fall outfits to wear (in case you want to take a cute pic for the ‘gram). Here are 10 trending pieces you need to try out and mix ‘n’ match however you like!

Cropped cardigan

Mini cardigans have made a comeback this year! Besides the fact that Kendall Jenner and Bella Hadid have recently given their stamp of approval of this piece, it’s not hard to see why it’s trending as a fall essential. This cardigan is the perfect fall staple for an effortlessly chic look, not to mention it’s light, stylish, and cozy, all in one! You can wear a cropped cardigan on its own or wear it open with a tank top or lace cami underneath.

V-neck fitted top

Who says you can’t look stylish while wearing long sleeves? Whether it be a knitted sweater or a long-sleeved tee (or even a holiday dress), a fitted v-shaped neckline just adds that extra *oomph* to any fall/winter look, so you can stay warm while looking cool and turning eyes at the same time. Layer some necklaces to complete the look!

Tank top + flannel shirt

Keep it plaid and simple! This pattern will forever be a signature fall look, and you can spice up any flannel shirt with a piece that you probably already have in your wardrobe like a fitted tank top or cami. Pair this look with some ripped jeans and your favorite pair of boots, and you’re ready to go pick some pumpkins in style.

Oversized sweaters

Who needs a boyfriend to steal hoodies from when you can have an oversized sweater? You can pair it with a miniskirt or just wear it as a dress on its own, with a pair of tights or leggings underneath. This is the perfect, cozy quarantine fit when you can’t be bothered to put on pants anymore.

Mom jeans

High-waisted? Comfy fit? Move aside, sweatpants, we’ve found a more stylish alternative. This style of straight-legged pants sits at the waist and leaves room for your legs to breathe all the way down, making it perfect to pair with some sneakers or cute booties. Bonus feature: these pants can give you some extra height when you want to look taller in pictures!

Pleated mini skirt

Pleated skirts have made their way off the tennis courts and onto the streets, and we’re absolutely here for it. They pair so nicely with any solid-colored top and add such a nice feminine touch to any outfit. This is the perfect essential to wear to class (well, perhaps after this year) or at a cute casual date or get-together. Want to wear a skirt, but it’s too cold out? No worries, just slide on a pair of black or nude tights!

High-waisted, wide-leg trousers

A pair of wide-leg trousers will become your best friend when you want to put on pants and feel as though you don’t have any on. They can complete any professional or casual look, and you can even spice them up by wrapping a belt or sash around the waist. Did I also mention that they’re extremely comfortable, and even Zendaya approves of this trend?

Overcoat/Trench coat

It’s layering at its finest! After putting together your favorite fall outfit, and finishing hair and makeup, you throw on a trench coat and *chef’s kiss* the final look is immaculate. A long, thick jacket adorned with pockets and buttons makes for a lean, sleek, and professional look. This was definitely one of Miranda Priestly’s secrets to looking like an absolute boss in The Devil Wears Prada (2006).

Blazer

The trend of normalizing blazers as something that can be worn outside of an office has been approved by dozens of celebrities (If Emily Ratajkowski can go out wearing a blazer as a shirt, you can too). Recently, the iconic duo of a blazer and bike shorts has made a recurring appearance (thank you, Kim K) in fashion magazines everywhere. It’s hard to argue the fact that, when paired with a sports bra or tube top, it can make any woman look and feel powerful.

Sherpa/Teddy jacket

Have you ever wanted to go outside still wrapped up in your cozy blanket burrito? With these teddy jackets, you can attend class (both virtual and in-person) feeling like you’ve never left your bed (just try not to fall asleep!). These jackets are incredibly fuzzy, warm, and of course, they’ve got the softest pockets. You can wear them indoors and outdoors—it’s practically loungewear, but fashionable!

While the pandemic is still going strong, be sure to make the few times you go out memorable! This quarantine can’t stop you from (socially-distanced) cute fall photoshoots or perhaps even a virtual date (*wink*). Whether you’re going out to meet people or staying inside for classes, it’s always a good time to glam up and give yourself a little confidence boost.

Sarah Xiao

Rutgers '22

Sarah is a senior at Rutgers University studying Education with a specialization in English, Communication with a specialization in PR, and Creative Writing. She plans on becoming a language arts teacher, where she can share her passion for writing and studying literature in a middle-school classroom. In her free time, she enjoys journaling, baking, online shopping, watching thrillers and rom-coms, and creating fashion & lifestyle content on Instagram.
Sam F

Rutgers '21