Miss Universe 2021: India Takes The Crown!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Rutgers chapter.

As 2021 nears its end, what better way to celebrate than watching the 2021 Miss Universe pageant? Introducing India’s Haarnaz Sandhu, the crowned Miss Universe of this year. She deserves this honor after the immense amount of work, strength, and courage she has shown to teach everyone a lesson. 

The moment I thought to be the most empowering, really standing out to me as a viewer, was the final Q&A round where Sandhu was asked, “What advice would you give to young women watching on how to deal with the pressure they face today?” She responded with, “The biggest pressure the youth of today is facing is to believe in themselves, to know that you are unique and that’s what makes you beautiful. Stop comparing ourselves with others and let’s talk about more important things that’s happening worldwide” (TribuneIndia, 1).

This really is a statement of the times as the level of low self-esteem this generation exhibits is something that not everyone looks at. She wanted to highlight that concept and really showcased how the youth today need to know their worth and the leadership qualities inside of them. Sandhu believes that truly believing in yourself can get you anywhere you desire.

The crowned winner goes on to say, “This is what you need to understand. Come out, speak for yourselves because you are the leader of your life, you are the voice of your own. I believed in myself and that’s why I am standing here today” (TribuneIndia, 1). Proving how if she could do it, anyone else who wants to achieve their goals can too. Being a leader of your own life is the first step in making your dreams a reality.

As a young woman from India, I really am proud of how India has taken the crown home after 21 years. Many young women can look up to Harnaaz Sandhu as a role model who showcases the meaning of individuality and belief in yourself. She is the representation of a confident, strong, educated woman that really deserves this award.  

Source:

https://www.tribuneindia.com/news/nation/chandigarhs-harnaaz-sandhu-crowned-miss-universe-2021-349799

Saee Purohit

Rutgers '25

Hi! My name is Saee Purohit, I am a student at Rutgers University-New Brunswick.I am so excited to be part of this welcoming community, creating content and being involved in this club’s opportunities!