Style > Beauty

Minimalism vs. Maximalism: Makeup Trends Over the Last Century

Updated Published
This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Rutgers chapter.

For thousands of years, makeup has been in style. However, the style of makeup has gone through countless changes as the trends inevitably cycle through. From the 1920s to the 2020s, here’s a dive into the most popular makeup trends from each decade, with what’s remained timeless and what’s been deemed “never again.”

1920s

The 1920s were the decade of flappers, thinly filled-in eyebrows, and short hair. Eye makeup was dark, with black eyeshadow commonly worn with thick black eyeliner and mascara. Rosy blush was a must, with red lips with an emphasized cupid’s bow.

1930s

Compared to the drama of the 1920s, the 1930s was a lighter style. Dark eyes with black shadows were out, and light-colored shadows with thin eyeliner and mascara were in! Lighter reds or pinks were the lipsticks of choice, but rosy blush was still in fashion.

1940s

With foundation having been introduced into makeup routines in the 1930s, foundation and powder were now being used as the standard base. Pink blush, either powder or cream, was still popular, but they were used less frequently than in previous years. Eye makeup was extremely minimal, with just a bit of mascara and sometimes a light sweep of neutral eye shadow. Lipstick was the most important part, especially a bold red.

@leticiafgomes

A maquiagem da década de 1940 é um clássico, mais simples comparado aos anos anteriores, mas trazia muita praticidade e elegância. Sombra mais clara, máscara de cílios, blush na medida certa e batom vermelho. Posso dizer que é uma das minhas maquiagens favoritas ❤️ #100anosdemaquiagem #100yearschallenge #1940 #40s #makeup

♬ Boogie Woogie Bugle Boy – The Andrews Sisters

1950s

Compared to the thin eyebrows of the last 30 years, the 50s were all about full and dramatically arched brows. Eyeshadow was used minimally or not at all, with light mascara and winged eyeliner entering the scene. Blush, again, was a staple, placed lightly and high on the cheekbones. A red lip liner and lipstick combination completed the look.

1960s

Eyeliner was the star of the show in the 60s, with dramatic lines above and below the eye. Eyeshadow was bright and bold, and mascara was laid on heavy. The timeless pink blush was a necessity, along with a light pink lipstick.

1970s

Eyeshadow in the 1970s was colorful and sparkly, with colors like purple, blue, and green being popular. Eyes were the focus of the look, and light eyeliner with mascara completed the eyes. Eyebrows were thick and filled, and blush was, of course, a warm, rosy pink. Lips were more neutral compared to the past, with pinks and nudes being the color of choice.

@ellieloveux

Looks like a starry night 🌌 PRODUCTS EYES @Gigibee Beauty Candid cat eye palette @hudabeautyshop Sapphire obsessions palette @Lash Therapy Australia 🤍 Growth serum mascara Lash Therapy Australia Growth serum brow gel FACE @e.l.f. Cosmetics Camo cc cream (Fair) @Flower Knows Cosmetics Highlight & contour palette By Beauty Bay Face palette (First light) LIPS @NYX Cosmetics Slim lip pencil (Mauve) NYX Cosmetics Suede matte lipstick (Lolita) #70smakeup #70sglam #70sglamrock

♬ Starman (2012 Remaster) – David Bowie

1980s

The 80s were the decade for bright colors and bold looks. Eyebrows were full and dramatic, and thick black or even colored eyeliner was fashionable. Eyeshadow was even bolder than before, with vivid colors like blue and pink dominating the scene. Blush was an even brighter pink and applied heavily. Gone were the neutral nude lipsticks of the 70s, with bright pink being the most popular color of the time.

@eileenamirian

Replying to @justyngee inspired by @priscillaono ❤️‍🔥 . . Product breakdown: Face – @youthforia Pregame Protective Primer – @milanicosmetics super charged undereye tint deep peach – @morpheofficial green color corrector – @fentybeauty Pro Filt’r Soft Matte Foundation in 210 – @realtechniquesofficial beauty sponge – @lauramercier Translucent Setting Powder – @valentino.beauty Eye2Cheek Blush in shade 2 Eyes – @elfyeah x @americaneagle collab palette – #maccosmetics Mac Stack Mascara – @lancome.official Drama Liqui-Pencil in shade 05 Seine Sparkles – Glitter Lips – @maccosmeticsusa Love Me Liquid Lipcolour in shade Hey Good Looking! #boldmakeup #editorialbeauty #valentinobeauty #80smakeup #vintagemakeup #makeuptutorial

♬ enjoy the silence – ☆

1990s

In an almost complete 180 from the 80s, the 90s brought back thin eyebrows and barely-there blush. Nude-colored eyeshadows were on the rise, as well as pastel, subtle shimmers. Thin eyeliner, especially on the waterline, and mascara were a must. Brown lip liner and lipstick were all the rage in the 90s, either matte or paired with a shimmery lip gloss.

2000s

The early 2000s kept the skinny brows of the 90s, focusing on pastel eyeshadows and a smoked-out waterline. Eyeliner and mascara were similar to the 90s, as well as light blush. The biggest lip trend was a slightly darker lip liner and a pink or brown shiny gloss.

2010s

The 2010s brought in the trend of smokey eye makeup, as well as bold eyeshadow cut creases. Liquid lipstick, especially matte, was a popular choice throughout the decade. For the first time, blush was abandoned in favor of highlighter and heavy contouring, which became a quintessential part of every makeup routine. False eyelashes were on the rise to make eyelashes fuller than just mascara could.

2020s

Finally, we reach the 2020s. Completely flipping from the 2010s, the 2020s are all about simple, natural-looking makeup. Gone are the bold eyeshadow looks, replaced with either subtle or no eyeshadow at all. Mascara and eyeliner are kept light, and blush is back in fashion, with liquid being the most popular option. Lip glosses are back in style, and lip oils are on the rise.

@babymichelle222

everyday makeup routine 🕺🏻🪩🎀🌟 (ig: michellegzaa) #fyp #sephora #grwm #makeup #routine

♬ –

Over the past century, makeup trends have changed like the drop of a hat. While some things, like extremely bright eyeshadow and heavy blush, don’t appear like they’ll make a comeback anytime soon, a few trends have kept coming back. A bit of mascara, a rosy blush, and red or pink lips are practically timeless.

Svara Shah

Rutgers '26

Sophomore majoring in CBN. Loves reading (mystery, romance, fantasy), writing, and dancing (bollywood)!