Michelle’s Movie Guide : The Secret Life of Walter Mitty

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Rutgers chapter.

“The Secret Life of Walter Mitty” – Review

Ben Stiller’s highly anticipated film, and possible Academy Awards contender, “The Secret Life of Walter Mitty”, premiered this past weekend at the 51st New York Film Festival.

I was lucky enough to jump into the wild imagination of Walter Mitty almost three months before it’s released on Christmas day – and I’m already counting down the days until I can see it again.

It was a whirlwind adventure like nothing else we’ve ever seen. Stiller directed a film full of beautiful cinematography, heart-warming characters, and a look into the true meaning of life. Leading lady Kristen Wiig allowed us to fall in love with her all over again and Adam Scott easily became the boss we all know and hate.

However, it wasn’t lacking that comical Ben Stiller charm. The film had the whole audience laughing throughout Mitty’s entire journey. From jokes about social media to hysterical daydreams – it was hard to take the film too seriously.

Stiller’s version of the beloved character was one many of us can relate to. Someone who forgot who he used to be and left so much behind. Someone who doesn’t have the guts to ask out the girl of his dreams. Someone who never got the respect he deserved. And this tale of being able to dream, travel, and change your life around is sure to inspire.

The film was a magical journey like no other. It takes you to Greenland, Iceland, and pays tribute to New York City.

There is something very real and honest about this film. It’s full of absurdities that usually only exist in the imagination – but that are crafted to be brought to the surface. While based off of James Thurber’s short story from 1939, and the original film starring Danny Kaye from 1947, it is uniquely it’s own. A modernized version of the beloved story. Bringing unexpected life and humor that no one other than Ben Stiller himself could.

A perfect centerpiece for the 51st New York Film Festival. An extraordinary gift for Christmas day. 

Latina Journalista