Margot Robbie is a Barbie Girl in Greta Gerwig’s Barbie World

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Rutgers chapter.

Following the release of the trailer for the long-awaited film Barbie, the internet has exploded with excitement, questions, concerns, and hilarious memes. Starring Margot Robbie as Mattel’s iconic Barbie, the film is set to release in theaters on July 21, 2023, making it the perfect summer flick. Greta Gerwig, known for directing films like Little Women and Lady Bird, has created her own Barbie World, and the trailer truly brings her pink plastic wonderland to life. 

The opening of the trailer shows Barbie on a beach in Barbie Land saying “Hi, Barbie!” to the other dolls on the beach, paying homage to the different versions of Barbie that have been released since the original in 1959. Different dolls, including the president and a Nobel prize winner, populate the beach. The trailer also baits fans with a few musical numbers to bring on a fun and light-hearted mood, including a shot from an all-male number reminiscent of Elvis Presley’s “Jailhouse Rock” music video. The first teaser trailer released in December, hilariously recreating the first sequence in Stanley Kubrick’s 2001: A Space Odyssey, also shows Barbie in the black and white chevron bathing suit on the unforgettable Barbie No.1.

Despite its highly-anticipated release, fans have already expressed criticisms. One of the biggest is the choice to cast Ryan Gosling as Ken, with fans saying he is too old for the role. According to GQ, critics argue that Ken is supposed to resemble a 20-year-old frat boy as opposed to Gosling — a 41-year-old member of polished Hollywood royalty.

Suggestions of who should’ve played Ken have been circulating on social media; Zac Efron and Garrett Clayton are some of the actors fans believe could’ve perfectly embodied Ken’s clueless, blissfully ignorant attitude. However, others argue that Gosling is the perfect choice for Ken, as Ken doesn’t need to be anything more than Barbie’s beautiful and simple-minded boyfriend. Gosling’s character is meant to be the sidekick, and he isn’t believed to be a major part of Gerwig’s storyline for Barbie.

The Barbie cast features some of our generation’s most loved actors, including Sex Education‘s Emma Mackey (Maeve) and Ncuti Gatwa (Eric). The film also features more unexpected cast choices, such as singer Dua Lipa and comedic actors like Michael Cera, Kate Mckinnon, and Will Ferrell, which make fans even more excited to see the film hailed “movie of the summer”.

The internet has embraced Barbie since the announcement of its release in the summer of 2022. Following the release of the trailer on April 4, social media users have claimed the opportunity to recreate the movie posters through memes. The memes involve social media users highlighting a “toxic” trait, or lightheartedly poking fun at themselves.

@sbonbon on Instagram
@thehazelpotato on Instagram

Despite the excitement surrounding the movie’s release, fans don’t really know what Barbie will be about. According to the film’s IMDB page, the synopsis states, “To live in Barbie Land is to be a perfect being in a perfect place. Unless you have a full-on existential crisis. Or you’re a Ken.” This witty synopsis gives a slight indication that Barbie may have a crisis about being a doll; she longs to be human and embarks on a journey to the real world. The mystery of the film’s story as well as the incredibly famous cast and crew still have fans hopeful for the movie of the summer. No plot details are revealed, which is uncommon for a modern movie trailer. Grewig’s trailer gives fans a glimpse into Barbie Land without giving away any spoilers.

Although much of the film’s details remain under wraps, the buzz and internet attention surrounding it is enough to get excited about its upcoming release in July. Grab some girlfriends and enjoy a cool summer night in a theater watching Greta Gerwig’s next girl-power classic!

Emily Ranieri

Rutgers '24

Emily is a senior majoring in Journalism and Media Studies. She loves reading, movies, art, and music.