This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Rutgers chapter.

Whether using makeup to cover up that annoying breakout, to build confidence, as a form of artistic expression, or to just have fun, it is important that every person is able to find products best fit for them. These makeup brands go above and beyond to not only deliver high-quality products but to also integrate Hispanic culture, and promote diversity within the beauty industry. All brands listed are cruelty-free as well!

Rare Beauty

Over the past few months, Rare Beauty by Selena Gomez, who identifies as an American-Mexican woman, has taken the makeup world by storm. Almost every YouTuber and social media influencer has done a review on Selena Gomez’s makeup line, with almost everyone raving about the products. Going beyond the products itself, Rare Beauty promotes a positive message of confidence and destigmatizes mental health. Selena Gomez herself said “Being rare is about being comfortable with yourself. I’ve stopped trying to be perfect. I just want to be me.” From their website, it is clear that Rare Beauty wants to uphold its mission “to promote self-acceptance and give people the tools they need to feel less alone in the world.”

Reina Rebelde

This brand was made by a Latina woman for Latina women. Regina Merson — a proud Latina and American woman — created the brand with her cultural roots in mind. Taking inspiration from her cultural identity as a Latina, she describes her brand “equal parts wild and unpredictable, bold and impractical, feminine and luxurious, sexy and severe — in many ways perfectly reflective of my complicated identity as a Mexican woman embracing an American life.”

Vive Cosmetics

Vive Cosmetics was founded by two Latina women and takes pride in being a “Latina-owned and operated beauty brand created to celebrate our love for all things beauty and cultura in one place.” The founders of the brand are Joanna Rosario-Rocha, a Mexi-Rican (aka Mexican and Puerto Rican), and Leslie Valdivia, a Mexicana-Americanaand daughter of Mexican immigrants. As first-generation Latin Americans, they noticed the lack of Hispanic representation within the beauty industry and created a company that celebrated Latina culture.

Alamar Cosmetics

Alamar Cosmetics is an inclusive brand created “to celebrate all cultura.” Their products include lipsticks, eyeshadows, contour powders, and more! Their latest collection, “Spanglish – La Colección,” encourages cultural pride. A quote on their website by founder and CEO Gabriella Trujillo reads, “This collection is dedicated to all the multicultural reinas. May you always feel represented and glam as hell with Alamar Cosmetics.”

Araceli Beauty

Founded by Mexican-American influence Araceli Ledesma, Araceli Beauty integrates Mexican culture and modern makeup trends to create a unique Latina-inspired makeup brand. The brand’s best-sellers include the “Azteca Eyes” eyeshadow palette and their wide range of false eyelashes with some Mexican-inspired names, such as “Cabo” and “Mexico City.”

During the current age of social media and influencers, it is crucial for people of every background to feel represented. These Hispanic brand founders have stepped up to integrate their culture with their love for makeup and create inclusive brands. Be sure to support them during your next makeup purchase!

Aishwarya Sridhar is a senior at Rutgers University majoring in Cell Biology & Neuroscience and double minoring in Psychology and Health & Society. You can usually find her studying in a library or curled up on her favorite couch with a cup of coffee and a good book.