Life > Experiences

Low Budget Things To Do With Friends On Valentine’s Day

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Rutgers chapter.

You’ve spent your money buying the best gifts for your friends and family on Christmas. Your bank account is all but drained from textbook purchases, coffee runs, and necessary clothing for this freezing weather. And just when you think your wallet can’t take anymore, Valentine’s Day comes up, and you’re torn between going into debt, cancelling plans, or making handmade coupon books good for “one free hug”. You’re deciding on spending the day of love with those you love the most — your best friends, and despite your best intentions, you literally cannot afford an extravagant day or elaborate gift for them.

Maybe you don’t need to make much of a sacrifice at all. Here are four inexpensive activities for you, your squad, and your bank account to enjoy this holiday.

1. Create your own scavenger hunt

I made a scavenger hunt across College Ave for my friend’s birthday with a list of clues that signified some of our friend group’s favorite places, where we first met, and where we had classes together. The final stop ended up being Hidden Grounds and we chipped in to buy the winning team coffee. It’s a really cute sentiment as you remember all of the good times you’ve spent together, and it’s pretty hysterical watching your girls tear through the campus in an attempt to finish the hunt first.

2. Go see a movie together

Luckily for us, Rutgers Cinema offers a nice student discount on tickets so long as you have your Rutgers ID with you, so you can catch the latest movies at a cheaper price. Films out right now include Glass, Spider-man: Into the Spider Verse, If Beale Street Could Talk, and On the Basis of Sex. Or, if you’d prefer to rewatch some of the classic rom-coms, you can always crash at someone’s apartment or dorm lounge and binge-watch to your heart’s content. Bonus points if someone brings ice cream.

3. Have a potluck

Having a nice dinner and catching up with your girls is something I personally did last Valentine’s Day, but it can get a little pricey between appetizers, entrees, and dessert. Instead, try having a potluck party. Everyone brings their own dish, you get to enjoy a lot of food for the fraction of the cost, and you get a low-key kind of night with lots of laughter.

4. Check out the Valentine’s Day events on and off-campus

If you’re looking to satisfy your sweet tooth, the dining halls have a Chocolate Fantasy night to look forward to if you have meal swipes or can get someone to guest-swipe you in. Of if you’d prefer to venture off-campus for a change in scenery, catch Little Girl Blue: The Nina Simone Musical at the George Street Playhouse, or head to Roosevelt Park Family Ice Skating Rink in Edison for a day of skating with your crew. Hungry? Grab a bite to eat from Okie Pokii Cafe in Hyland Park, Tacoria on Easton, or KBG Korean BBQ & Grill on Easton, all of which won’t dent your savings but taste like an expensive meal.

Valentine’s Day doesn’t have to break the bank, nor does it have to be boring. I hope you enjoy the holiday, whether you’re spending it with your significant other, your close friends, or just yourself.

Diana Del Gaudio is a senior at Rutgers University - New Brunswick majoring in computer science and minoring in psychology. She runs on little sleep and a lot of coffee. You can find her most days writing code, writing stories, and writing songs.