Style > Beauty

Love Your Sunscreen, Love Your Skin

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Rutgers chapter.

With new skincare always surfacing, the primary regimen that should be permanently added to your morning routine is sunscreen. It is the best and easiest way to protect your skin’s overall appearance and health! Sunscreen helps prevent sunburn, skin cancer, and premature aging. Even with all these benefits, it’s likely that most people avoid sunscreen unless they’re anticipating a day outside. After all, the sprays are often overly greasy, and the creams leave a white cast. It doesn’t help that it’s suggested to reapply sunscreen multiple times throughout the day, which seems impossible to do when you have a face of makeup on.

Need a product to treat your skin with kindness? Use a sunscreen ultra fine mist atomizer. This is a spray that leaves no residue on your face, doesn’t feel greasy, can be applied over makeup, and is in a perfect travel-size bottle for easy reapplication on the go. Here are some options!

First up is the Sunny Side Up SPF 30 Mist from the skincare company Love From Yours. This sunscreen is more than just sunscreen, especially for those who live by their skincare routine. It has antioxidant properties on top of the broad spectrum SPF 30. The lightweight sunscreen sprays on without you feeling like you added a dozen extra products to your skincare; it feels like a hydrating face mist. The bottle also does more than just hold the holy grail: it helps the planet as well. The bottle is fully recyclable, and reusable for when you eventually finish the product.

Love From Yours states that their product is “sunscreen, reinvented.” This sunscreen spray leaves you with no white cast, no shine, and no breakouts after use. Plus, the mist is naturally anti-aging with antioxidant properties. Antioxidants are a girl’s best friend by being a natural substance that helps prevent or delay some types of cell damage, meaning your beautiful skin will stay young and supple for longer.

Their bright yellow bottle comes in a convenient spray mist format so you can reapply SPF on the go. It’s a great size for your purse, backpack, or bag that you use when you leave the house. On a hot sunny day, using that reapplying stage is a great way to rehydrate your skin and feel fresh.

Our runner-up has three different sunscreen mists, and its brand was created just for them— HABIT. Being a company established for the sole purpose of selling these skincare spectacles, HABIT takes pride in its various versions. Their first product is the N°41 Mister, which has broad spectrum SPF 41 with the scents of rose geranium, lavender, and rosemary. The second one is their N°38, which offers a broad spectrum SPF 38 and has a luxurious, spa-like cucumber scent. Their newest SPF mist is the Nº39, which offers a broad spectrum SPF of 39 with an aroma of white peach and neroli.

All three of these misters are clear-tinted bottles, so you’ll know exactly when you’re about to run out and need to restock. They are also slimmer than the Love From Yours bottle, so it’ll feel easier to pack and take with you on the go! While they are aesthetically pleasing to look at, these mists may make your skin feel just a little greasier after putting it on. Nonetheless, this can go on under or over your makeup and doesn’t leave a sheen or white cast.

Sunscreen does most of what people want out of skincare. From preventing the signs of aging to promoting scar healing and correcting dark spots and skin discoloration. HABIT’s sunscreen promotes to be designed to work on all skin tones—especially dark skin tones. Their sunscreen mist also works with eyelash extensions! HABIT’s products are a great option for any skin type and tone.

Using SPF sunscreen daily is a major player in reducing the appearance of dark spots on the skin. Exposure to the sun’s ultraviolet light can cause dark spots to get darker, but with the SPF mist, dark spots can be reduced— even if they are connected to genetic or hormonal causes.

Using SPF mist helps prevent the accumulation of photodamage that causes post-inflammatory hyperpigmentation—the hyperpigmentation that develops after acne. Hyperpigmentation is normally harmless, but it causes patches of your skin to become darker in color than normal. Making sure not to skip the SPF spray mist in the morning and reapplying it throughout the day will prevent the excess amount of pigmentation from forming.

As these SPF mists become increasingly popular, other companies, such as Sun Bum and Supergoop, have also begun creating their version of the product for their consumers.

Sunscreen is an important part of a person’s skincare and helps prevent aging and skin cancer by protecting your skin from ultraviolet light from the sun. Doesn’t it seem like a no-brainer to add it to your skincare routine?

Thankfully, the universe heard the call for how important sunscreen is and understood that it needs to come in a better format for everyone to use. It is extremely important to love your skincare routine– however simple or extravagant it is– and to listen to what is good for your skin.

Amanda Clark

Rutgers '24

Amanda Clark is a senior attending Rutgers University—New Brunswick. She is a Journalism and Media Studies major with a minor in Creative Writing. Amanda is passionate about feminism and expanding her interests while getting more involved on campus. Amanda is looking for roles where she can grow and apply her interpersonal skills to build on her writing.