This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Rutgers chapter.

To allow yourself the opportunity to let go and get lost in a song is one of the greatest joys in life you can have. I feel I can confidently say that everyone loves music to some extent. There is a multitude of genres, artists, and time periods to choose from, and listening to music makes us feel so good – mentally, physically and spiritually. But what about making the music? I have always considered musicians to be some of the luckiest people on earth. They are able to withdraw unique art they feel in their souls and minds, and play it, write it, sing it, or interpret a song in a combination of all three. They put their deepest thoughts and feelings onto paper, and turn it into a beautiful masterpiece that others appreciate and love and play on repeat. It’s such a beautiful gift. Of course, some people are more musically inclined than others. Some say this is genetics. Others feel musical ability has all to do with environment and early opportunities. I personally think it’s a mixture of the two, but I truly think that almost anyone has the ability to make beautiful music. 

I recently experienced an epiphany. One day, I was walking to my apartment and I admired the sparse leaves on the trees and how they danced in the wind while the sunlight twinkled in between the fragile branches. I listened to the wind, and thought, “Everything around me is music. I must remember to listen.” I was reminded in that moment that literally everything is music. The clicking of a keyboard or the tapping of shoes on the ground makes a lovely sound. The sound of water running through a faucet is literally sacred in some cultures, and we take all these beautiful sounds for granted on a regular basis. 

My form of musical expression is singing. I’ve loved to sing since I was about five years old. I have always practiced singing on and off, because sometimes it wasn’t woven into my daily schedule. But I still love it and use it as a stress-relieving coping mechanism. It feels good. I find singing to be extremely therapeutic and can genuinely say that singing has changed my life. It has helped me get rid of my anxiety on multiple occasions when nothing else seemed to work. It has allowed me to build my self-esteem back up when I was feeling bad. It motivates me. It makes me feel like I am on top of the world.

Singing was a huge part of my childhood, and I’m eternally grateful for the memories I have with my older cousin, who is a piano teacher. We would sit at her piano for hours, and she would teach me so much. She was so patient. I loved every second with her. Eventually, I quit playing the piano, which I deeply regret to this day, while my cousin still plays exquisitely. But I did stay true to singing as my expressive art form. I still enjoy it. I feel that I am at an advantage when I listen to music because I appreciate it more than someone with no formal musical training. I can feel the passion when vocalists sing, and have an idea of how much dedication and practice it takes to achieve such great success. 

If I could give advice to someone who is looking for a passion, I would tell them to start singing, even if they argued they didn’t know how to. You don’t have to hit all the high notes, or be capable of crazy riffs to enjoy the tremendous joy of singing. You just have to open yourself up to the possibility of achieving a genuine sense of fulfillment just by making noise! So with that, I invite you to start singing right now. I’m not telling you to get up on stage, but just to be pleased by your car rides a little bit more, and enjoy your personal shower concert (where the acoustics are usually very nice). Happy singing!

Xo, Susie

Hi, I'm Susie! I have an undying passion for sharing my thoughts through words. I am an animal activist, yogi, singer, and tea drinker. My favorite things to write about are health and wellness, veganism, and self discovery.
Cassidy hails from Delaware County, Pennsylvania and is an undergraduate Journalism and Media Studies major and Psychology minor at Rutgers University with a passion for telling stories. She is the current Co-Campus Correspondent for Her Campus Rutgers.