Style

Last-Minute DIY Halloween Costumes That Will Stand Out Amongst The Crowd

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Rutgers chapter.

Halloween is approaching quicker than we had anticipated! While everyone has already gone and purchased their Halloween 2018 Halloween costumes, you may be struggling to find something to wear- whether it be a financial crisis, lack of creativity, or just procrastinating, we can all relate. For this reason, I have curated easy, cheap, and comical last-minute DIY Halloween costumes to satisfy all of your spooky needs.

David Bowie

This costume is not comical, however, it is a unique costume for those who do not have the time or patience to actually DIY an entire costume. The white outfit is something most people can easily find in their closet; most of the money would be in purchasing face paint (which is typically around $12.00). A David Bowie costume is not only iconic, but it is also a fairly enjoyable costume to curate for individuals who love makeup.

What you’ll need:

1. All white outfit

2. Orange and blue face paint

3. Dress shoes

Steps:

1. Using a reference photo of his Aladdin Sane album, paint the lightning bolt on your face with the face paint.

2. Get dressed in the white outfit and dress shoes.

The Hash-Slinging Slasher

I managed to throw this iconic look together last Halloween and, boy, what a hit it was. I managed to put this costume together in about five minutes (without any prior contemplation). Most, if not all, items needed for the costume can be found lying around most closets.

What you’ll need:

1. A black hoodie or windbreaker

2. Black pants

3. A spatula

4. Black gloves

5. Red-rimmed sunglasses

Steps:

1. Throw on the hoodie/windbreaker, gloves, black pants, and sunglasses.

2. Pull the hoodie strings as far as you can.

3. Hold onto the spatula.

This is a picture of me on Halloween 2018 with the Hash-slinging Slasher costume. Iconic.

Donald Trump (or any political figure you feel strongly about)

This costume can make any political statement hilarious. Yes, you probably will be faced with the question of “What are you supposed to be?”, but once you explain it, it will be worth it. Politics often brings about a debate, but if you make a satirical costume out of it, politics can actually become palatable.

What you’ll need:

1. A trash bag

2. Scissors

Steps:

1. Cut a hole in the center of the closed side of the bag for the head.

2. Cut out a hole of each side for the arms.

3. Done.

Jason Voorhees

This costume also may not be comical, but it surely is quite simple to put together with materials that most people already own. Plus, you can find hockey masks for under $5. You can be creepy and creative this Halloween with this legendary Jason Voorhees costume.

What you’ll need:

1. A black outfit

2. An army-green jacket

3. A white hockey mask

4. Optional: a fake machete or ax.

Steps:

1. Not much explanation, just throw everything on.

Damian from Mean Girls

Believe me when I say: most people will understand this reference. This costume is absolutely hilarious when executed accurately. Iconic is the only explanation I have for this costume; it is not only simple, but it is also a universal reference that will not have to be explained. As most of us know, having to explain your costume can be a bit annoying.

What you’ll need:

1. Blue Hoodie

2. Sunglasses

3. Poster board

4. Sharpie

Steps:

1. On the poster board, write “She doesn’t even go here” with the sharpie.

2. Put on the blue hoodie and black sunglasses.

3. Hold the sign.

Mask of your choice

This costume can emulate any popular figure of your choosing. Any piece of clothing can match this costume, but you can pick clothing specific to your chosen figure.

What you’ll need:

1. A printer

2. White paper

3. Cardstock

4. Printer paper

5. Scissors

6. Glue

7. Yarn

8. Hole puncher

Steps:

1. Google your desired figure’s mask on Google images (for example: “Chris Christie mask”, “Trevor Noah mask”, “Steve Aoki mask”, etc).

2. Print out the mask on regular white paper.

3. With scissors, cut the mask out, as well as the eye holes.

4. Glue the cut out mask onto the cardstock.

5. Cut the mask out again.

6. Using the hole puncher, punch a hole on each side.

7. Tie a piece of yarn to each hole punched side (the yarn should be long enough to tie in the back of your head).

8. Put the mask to your face and tie the two pieces of yarn behind your head.

Finding a unique and inexpensive Halloween costume can often be difficult. Rather than going with the go-to cat costume or bunny costume, taking a risk is worth it. Whether it is insane makeup that makes up the costume or the overall comedic nature of it, you will always be memorable for walking into that Halloween party with an outlandish outfit and your complete confidence.

Hey, I'm Jessie Eshak. I'm a MENA American with goals to pursue a career in film and television. My passion to the improve the poor representation of Middle-Eastern and North Africans in entertainment in front of the camera and behind it.