sagar patil 8UcNYpynFLU unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
sagar patil 8UcNYpynFLU unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

How to Stay Productive Over the Summer

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Rutgers chapter.

Summer starts in under a week which means staying up all night to binge Netflix and being a couch potato are just around the corner. And while we all need a break, it’s important to make the most of the summer. One helpful method is to make a list of what you’d like to get done over the summer. Here are a few things to fill your list.

Learn to Code

No matter what your major is or where you’re going in life, coding will help you in the future. The world of technology is constantly evolving and you don’t want to get left behind. Learning to code doesn’t have to be too time consuming either. Check out code.org to get started

Learn to Cook

We all know dining hall food can get old fast, maybe it’s time to do something about it. If you’re an upperclassmen there’s a good chance you have access to a kitchen that you’re not using. Teaching yourself to cook can be fun and can give you so much control over what goes in your body. Try Epicurious for some easy beginner recipes.

Learn to Play an Instrument

I got a used electric guitar with an amp for $50 and taught myself through youtube. Your first instrument doesn’t have to be anything fancy; as long as it works, you’re good to go. Teaching yourself to play an instrument is relatively cheap and so rewarding.

Learn a Language

I doubt any of us have ever tried to learn a second language since it was required in high school; I know I haven’t. I do regret it though, I used to be halfway fluent in French and now I can barely get a word out. Try the Duolingo app, it’s completely free and offers courses in dozens of languages

Attempt to Do Something Artistic

Let go of the pressure of making good art and just make something cathartic. Toss a bunch of random paints at a canvas and see what happens. Get an instrument and play it as loud as you can just for fun. Try your hand at a pottery class and see what happens. Just try something you can completely mess up and still be happy with.

While it’s super helpful to make a to do list for the summer, remember that these few months are meant to be a break. Relax and remember that your to do list is just a guideline. Although it’s important to hold yourself accountable, it’s equally important to take it easy.

Alishbah Arsalan is a graduating senior at Rutgers University majoring in Health Administration and minoring in Human Resource Management.
Keoni Nguyen is a former undergrad student at Rutgers University and the former Co-Campus Correspondent of Her Campus Rutgers (2018-2019).