This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Rutgers chapter.

Isn’t it horrible spending the entire morning perfecting our makeup look, only to have it disappear and smudge a few hours later? You’re not alone. We’ve also experienced these soul-crushing moments. But over the years, we’ve found ways to combat this. We picked up a few tricks to keep our makeup looking vibrant and fresh and we want to share these tips it with you! Here’s how we learned to control our oily skin:

Use oil-absorbing sheets to maintain control

These are super handy when on the go. Madison and Shannon love the Clean & Clear sheets which are travel-friendly. You just take one and pat it on your face throughout the day when in need of a touch-up. They help to absorb excess oils that have built up throughout the day. These are especially life-saving during summer months when your glow has just turned you into a shiny greaseball from sweating constantly.

Try liquid lipsticks/eyeshadows for a different purpose

A great way to make eyeshadows stay put is to use liquid lipsticks. Liquid lipsticks are typically formulated to stay on the whole day on your lips, so why not on your eyes? This is especially great if you don’t own a waterproof eye primer and have tons of liquid lipsticks. This trick is great when going to an outdoor music festival and want to put on a bit of makeup. No matter how hot and sweaty you are, it doesn’t budge! Just be sure to use a little at a time and blend quickly before they dry!

If you’re worried about using something that goes on your lips to your eyes for risk of an infection, you can always purchase mini liquid lips and use them only for the eyes. Another alternative is liquid eyeshadows. They stay put as well, especially the glitters ones. They don’t leave glitter fallout everywhere and are mess-free, unlike their loose formula counterparts. Shannon loves the Peripera liquid eyeshadows for this purpose and are a cheap dupe to the Stila Glitter and Glow liquid eyeshadows.

Use a skincare routine

Part of the reason why you may be getting so oily throughout the day is may be due to you not properly taking care of your skin. It is essential to moisturize properly. Our bodies will produce oils if our skin isn’t hydrated, hence why you might be getting so oily. Generally, those with oilier skin should look for products that are specifically made to keep shine at bay. The downside, however, is that too many oil absorbing skin care products can have adverse effects and actually dry out the skin. A solution is using a cleanser aimed at oily skin, a calming toner, a glowing serum to give your skin a boost, and then a moisturizer also made specifically for oily skin types. Cassidy recommends  No7’s Early Defense GLOW ACTIVATING Serum because it keeps your skin looking radiant without seemingly oily and is a relatively low price for a serum. The Body Shop’s Tea Tree Oil line of products are also great for keeping oil at bay and treating breakouts. So be sure to moisturize well and you’re skin won’t produce as many oils and will have a smooth base to apply makeup on.

Invest in a good foundation

While there are a handful of foundations for oily skin that you can purchase at the drugstore on a broke college student friendly budget, many just don’t get the job done. Cassidy reports that some have either made her break out or gotten her very greasy looking throughout the day, regardless of what primer or setting finish used. However, both Cassidy and Madison have found that the Maybelline Fit Me Matte + Poreless Foundation is a great drugstore formula for oily skin. Cassidy also loves the long-lasting Fenty Beauty Pro Filt’r Soft Matte Longwear Foundation, while Madison has recently been loving the Too Faced Peach Perfect Foundation. She loves how the foundation is an oil-free, oil-controlling foundation and as a result, find that it applies quite smoothly to her oily skin. According to her, “In comparison to drugstore foundations, I will say that those products considered to be on the “higher end” do always feel more comfortable, mattifying, almost “airbrushed” onto my skin.”

Consider satin finish foundations

Matte finishes are your friend, but they are not the end all be all makeup look for oily skin. If you have an oily skin type but aren’t committed to having a matte look all of the time, look for products with a satin finish, which is slightly more moisturizing than a matte but not as oily looking as a dewy finish. Cassidy recommends the Urban Decay Naked Skin Weightless Ultra Definition Liquid Makeup which has a glowing finish and does not get oily throughout the day. Also, look for products that are medium to full coverage, because this will also help keep the oil at bay and the product to last longer throughout the day.

Prep and Set Your Skin

Don’t skimp out on primers and setting products. If you’re skeptical about primers and think powder will just make you appear cakey, give them another chance! Cassidy once believed this and realized using both a primer and a matte setting powder completely changed her makeup look and helped the products last on her skin for much longer. Shannon and Madison both recommend the Maybelline Fit Me! Loose Finishing Powder and Cassidy suggests trying out the NYX Blotting Powder. Using this for “baking” is amazing; it leaves the skin looking so flawless and smooth! Also, make sure to keep your setting powder and brush on hand in order to touch up your look throughout the day!

And it doesn’t hurt to lock everything down with setting spray after

We all love to use setting spray even after we’ve used a primer and powder. Using a setting spray gives triple-threat protection to help everything survive for as long as possible. It also helps to melt everything together to give the ultimate smooth Photoshop-like finish to the skin. Madison’s go-to is the cult-favorite Urban Decay All Nighter Setting Spray when wearing a full-face because it helps her makeup stay for hours upon end.​

Trying these tips can help your awesome makeup look stay throughout the day. Now, you’ll never have to worry about your makeup sliding off your face again! Remember, your oily skin doesn’t control you, you control your oily skin.

Shannon is a senior attending Rutgers University pursuing a bachelor's degree in Journalism & Media studies. Although she is graduating this May, she will be staying to obtain her Master's degree in Communication Media. With a great passion for everything fashion and beauty, she hopes to be writing for a magazine centered around both. She loves puppies and can often be found in bed binging a k-drama on Netflix!
Cassidy hails from Delaware County, Pennsylvania and is an undergraduate Journalism and Media Studies major and Psychology minor at Rutgers University with a passion for telling stories. She is the current Co-Campus Correspondent for Her Campus Rutgers.