How to Dress Smart for Your Internship

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Rutgers chapter.

So, you landed an internship. First things first, this is your opportunity to shine and wow the higher ups and your coworkers with not only your skills but your respect for your role and company.

As a righteous Fashionista, you’re going to want your look to match your capabilities, essentially you want to look “SMART”. 

SMART means Stylish, Magnetic, Ambitious, Respectable, and Trustworthy. Look beyond the contradictory wording as this great rule of thumb acronym is sure to guide your way to a successful and stylish internship!

If you’re as lucky as I was and have a relaxed business casual dress code, this article is for you! When it comes to skin, ALWAYS play it safe, especially when your position has no guarantee and is essentially the test run/BIG interview for the real job opportunity. But what does this mean exactly you may ask? Simple, no rompers, shorts, miniskirts, thin strap tanks, crop tops, sheer clothing, or cut outs (these may seem obvious but I promise it doesn’t hurt to remind). Additionally, any dresses or skirts you wear shouldn’t be shorter than 3″ above your knee. Easily if you’re questioning whether you should wear it, you should avoid it. However, don’t let these guidelines dissuade you from expressing yourself and showing your inner Fashionista, instead add them to your tool belt so you can show off your adaptable and still alluring style.

Repeat after me, blouses are your new best friend, following are trousers, tailored dresses, and lastly, carefully selected shoes. When it comes to blouses the opportunities are endless, the assortment of colors, sleeve lengths, and materials are enough to make you want to replace your favorite white tee! Keep in mind if you opt for anything shorter than a long sleeve blouse you may want to keep a cardigan or blazer in tow as it seems office weather usually maintains in the 60s and 70s. As for trousers, the crepe and skinny black seem to take the gold, however the culottes are definitely a trending favorite. Now for the actual breezy and fun staple piece that can easily help you crossover into happy hour, the dress. Your pick of dresses should be safe against panty lines and tailored to your body. Lastly, if you can last your day in heels then all the power to you but alternatively you can carry a change of shoes or opt for a pair that won’t make you cringe.

Don’t forget your 5 key rules of SMART when putting together that killer summer internship wardrobe that coupled with your amazing skills will be sure to leave a positive lasting impression!

Valentina is a business student with an open mind for all things creative and innovative. She knows the real-life struggles but maintains an idealist view. She can easily be entertained on a spectrum of Gossip Girl to House of Cards with Portlandia in between.
Born and raised in Northern New Jersey, Faith attends Rutgers University in New Brunswick, where she plans to major in Psychology and minor in Philosophy and Criminology.  Faith enjoys writing and traveling. She loves cats, books, and the color blue. In the future, Faith would like to attend law school.