default her campus image?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
default her campus image?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Life > Experiences

House of Thieves: Billy Spear

Updated Published
This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Rutgers chapter.

Not many crazy college kids can say they’ve been a president, in a band, and an accomplished student before they have even turned 21-years-old. One of the few that can is sophomore Billy Spear, and that’s why he’s this week’s campus celebrity. Not only is Spear the president of The Quads on College Ave, but he’s also the lead guitarist and back up vocals for local band, House of Thieves (HOT) based in Piscataway, N.J. “I was in a band that restricted my artistic ability, as was my singer Sean Horan. We both decided we would create a band with no musical or artistic boundaries,” Spear said. So that’s exactly what he did. When asked what kind of music the band played, Billy was a little puzzled, not of confusion, but because he had to ask himself the question, “What don’t we play?” “[Horan and I] both agree that the music industry as of now… needs to be flushed. The band plays progressive rock, I guess, but the music is all over the place because we believe in musical and artistic freedom. My drummer can do some crazy stuff. He would be willing to play with spoons if we asked him to.” And HOT is not so local anymore. Making appearances all up and down the east coast, the band is looking to get its name out quick and with a bang. “We did a tour in Connecticut for a weekend and then New York City right after at a few clubs. We have been there a few times actually. We’ll go into Texas [this summer] if that’s where the road leads us,” Spear said. But at the end of the day, this rocker has a soft side as well. He says when he goes home at night and looks for a little pick me up, he knows exactly who to go to. “This is going to sound so cliché, but my grandma is my biggest influence in life. She’s 94 and has lived on her own for the last 30 or 40 years. I think it’s amazing that she’s been taking care of a house and a family for that long and she really inspires me,” Spear said. But what’s the biggest advice this recent inducted Campus Celeb can give to all his fans? “Make sure you make time for the things you love to do. School is important but leave time for the things you actually love,” The rock-star said. If you’re not too busy chasing after him for his autograph or staking him on Facebook, check out his awesome band’s music sites: facebook.com/thehousethieves myspace.com/thehouseofthieves