This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Rutgers chapter.

I love giving gifts and finding the perfect gift for loved ones. On the contrary, figuring out what I want is another story. I recognize that I am very lucky to receive gifts under my family’s tree as a twenty-one-year-old college student. I’ve worked several jobs of my own to afford treating myself, so when asking for gifts for Christmas, I try to keep my list reasonably priced. Here are a few options you can ask for this holiday season keeping an economical price range in mind.

Disposable Cameras

Disposable cameras not only make for a great gift, but they’re affordable too! You can get a set of 2 Fujifilm cameras for just under $25. Have a ~socially distant~ photoshoot with friends and family to ring in the new year. You can even get these photos scanned to be uploaded to your electronic devices. Check out Her Campus Rutgers’ social media team member Annie’s Instagram account dedicated to her disposable camera photos, @annniesdisposable!

Face Masks

If you were to tell me last year that I would be putting face masks on a holiday wishlist, I would’ve definitely thought you meant the charcoal-kind. What I’m actually referencing are those strips of fabric we’ve spent the majority of the year wearing to prevent the coronavirus. Why not fight the virus while looking cute? There are many small businesses out there selling cute and affordable masks such as Julie’s, as well as thousands of options on Etsy.

Merch/Prints of Your Favorite Artist/Band

Show some support for your favorite artist this year by buying some of their merch! If you’re a Harry Styles stan like me, you know that merch can be quite expensive. I’m not saying that you can get very similar designs on Etsy for a much better price, but you can get very similar or even cooler designs from small businesses on Etsy. Prints are also a cute idea to ~spice~ up your room. My friend Anjali designs and sells her own Harry Styles print creations that you need to get your hands on this holiday season. Here’s a link to her Etsy shop!

Record Player & Vinyls

There’s nothing like listening to an album on a record player. Please do not ask for an Urban Outfitters one; there are so many sites offering better prices! Also, you can’t wish for a record player without your favorite albums to play on it. If you’re a Rutgers student living on or near campus, check out Spina Records located on Easton Avenue to add some of your favorite artists’ vinyls to your collection.

Books

Winter break is the perfect opportunity to catch up on all the reading you didn’t do this semester (yes, my cost accounting textbook is in the same spot as it was in September). I fully expect to see the new Barack Obama book, A Promised Land, under the tree this year. If you don’t have a specific book in mind, you’re not out of luck. Ask for a book club subscription such as Once Upon a Book Club! Each month you’ll receive a book to read, a 5″ x 7″ quote print, along with 2-4 corresponding gifts to match a quote/item mentioned in the book. Take your choice between either adult or young adult-geared books, and spend your winter break nestled up with a good book.

Games

Now that the temperature is dropping and stepping outside becomes more and more unbearable, why not stay inside and play some games with your friends/family? Whether that be a board game, card game, or video game, games are a fun way to pass the time. If it’s a funny one, you’ll end up with a stomach ache from laughing so hard. I saw a game on TikTok that I am interested in trying called We’re Not Really Strangers. Apparently, it gets deep and you learn a lot about the people you’re playing with. What could go wrong?

Waking up on Christmas morning to see that Santa came is surely an amazing feeling. But nothing beats getting to spend time with your loved ones and showing your appreciation for each other. This holiday season, remember to express your feelings for the people in your life that you care for. Reconnect with old friends or loved ones you haven’t spoken to in a while. I’m sure you’re all familiar with Zoom and FaceTime by now. Spread love and cheer, and carry that spirit into the new year.

Sam F

Rutgers '21