Healthy, CHEAP, Vegan meal prep for the week!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Rutgers chapter.

Now meal prepping is great for a variety of reasons, from saving money to health benefits. The only issue is figuring out what to do, especially with limited resources. Sometimes you also want some form of variety in your diet as well, and meal prep makes it hard.

In time for the spring, here’s a set grocery list with different options to help you out!

Grocery list:

Protein/granola bars

1 can of chickpeas

A head of celery (if you don’t like celery, this meal prep will not be for you!)

Onion (Either 2-3 scallions, or if you like onions you can do a regular onion)

10 oz. Hummus (most flavors will work)

Mustard (or get 3-6 packets if you don’t want to commit to a bottle)

1 lemon

garlic powder (optional)

Mixed greens

Smallest bag of pita that you can find

*assuming you already own salt and pepper, they are not included on the list.

Breakfast: Personally, I am not a big breakfast person, so I either just have a granola bar and water/tea in the morning. I aim for eating a good amount of protein and minimal sugar in each bar. A box of granola/protein bars (depending on what brand) can be around $4-8.

Lunch and Dinner:

At the beginning of the week, you will create this mashed chickpea salad and enjoy it either on top of mixed greens or in a pita. I keep it light for lunch and save the pita sandwich for dinner.

Snacks: You have the rest of the celery and pita to snack on with hummus. Use the rest of the lemon to flavor your water. Depending on your budget, buy some additional fruit or another snack you would enjoy.

Happy healthy eating!

Part grandma who enjoys baking, knitting, cats, and scarves while also part child who still can't handle anything remotely scary and always needs a blanket.
Born and raised in Northern New Jersey, Faith attends Rutgers University in New Brunswick, where she plans to major in Psychology and minor in Philosophy and Criminology.  Faith enjoys writing and traveling. She loves cats, books, and the color blue. In the future, Faith would like to attend law school.