Halloween Activities: Quarantine Edition

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Rutgers chapter.

There’s no question that COVID-19 has drastically changed all of our lives. For many of us, it has also changed our Halloween plans. During this pandemic, traditional Halloween activities may not be the best option according to CDC guidelines. However, there are still plenty of awesome, socially distant options to spice up this Halloween:

Netflix Party

Anyone up for a scary movie marathon? Halloween is the perfect time to get together with your friends and binge some scary movies! To set up a Netflix party, simply click on the red “NP” icon next to the address bar once your video starts streaming. Copy the URL and send it to your friends to get started! Don’t forget to grab some popcorn, make a pumpkin spice latte, and catch up on the likes of Creep 2 (2017), Under the Shadow (2016), and Sweetheart (2019). Already watched those? Visit Rotten Tomatoes for the complete list of Netflix horror movies here.

Spooky Photoshoot

A socially distanced Halloween doesn’t mean you can’t embrace the Halloween spirit and get dressed up! Pull out your costume(s) of choice and snap some photos! Have your family help you take pictures, or (if you are feeling adventurous) turn on the self-timer function. Not in the mood for a full Halloween get-up? Do a quick and fun Halloween inspired make-up look for your obligatory Instagram selfie. Buy some latex and fake blood for extra spice! For inspiration, check out some amazing looks by @simply.symphony and @designdain.

Facetime Festivities

Do activities with your loved ones over video platforms such as Zoom and FaceTime. Set up a time to bake Halloween themed goodies with your friends! Nothing quite hits the spot like pumpkin pie on Halloween. Host a pumpkin carving competition and be creative with your designs! Lookup a couple of scary stories and have a virtual spooky sleepover. For those over the age of 21, consider making some mixed drinks to get into the “spirit” of things.

Virtual Game Night

During quarantine, games like Animal Crossing and Among Us are great ways to connect with friends. Many games offer Halloween-themed customizations/outfits to immerse players into the Halloween spirit. Animal Crossing’s October 1st update includes pumpkin-themed furniture and pumpkin patches. Similarly, the recently popularized game Among Us offers cute accessories from witch hats to devil horns.

A socially distant Halloween can still be amazing. There are many creative ways to make the most of this day while keeping your community healthy at the same time. 2020 may have taken a lot from us, but don’t let it take our Halloween spirit! 

PSA: Halloween is not canceled! Stay safe and have fun!

Lily Huang

Rutgers '23

Lily Huang is a senior attending Rutgers University-New Brunswick. She is currently majoring in Cultural Anthropology. In her free time, she loves cooking, painting, and playing with her cats.
Aishwarya Sridhar is a senior at Rutgers University majoring in Cell Biology & Neuroscience and double minoring in Psychology and Health & Society. You can usually find her studying in a library or curled up on her favorite couch with a cup of coffee and a good book.