Style > Fashion

FASHION TRENDS WE’RE FALLING FOR THIS AUTUMN

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Rutgers chapter.

The fashion industry moves quickly. It can be hard to keep up with what’s in and what’s out at any given moment. One minute, you’re loving a new pair of shoes you’ve been thinking about buying for months; the next minute, you’re watching a Tik Tok talking about how outdated they already are. Micro-trends—trends that quickly phase in and out again with the fast fashion industry—can make all of this worse. By the time consumers have the chance to buy an item, the cycle has already moved on. To combat this, we’ve compiled a list of a few clothing items that are still starting to become trendy this season! Yet, they’ll still look good on you, even after these trends have faded.

1. BALLET FLATS

You may have started to hear the buzz that the infamous semi-formal shoe of the 2010s is making a comeback. And, if you are like most people when they heard the news, you might be feeling a little angry right now. This trend is a polarizing one, but that won’t stop ballet flats from coming back into our closets and Instagram feeds. As a newly minted staple for anyone aiming to pull off that clean-girl Parisian aesthetic, ballet flats are definitely the way to go.

2. PATCHWORK AND QUILTED COATS

Patterned, colorful, and perhaps a bit handmade grandma-esque: patchwork and quilted coats. These are popping up here and there, and will only continue to show up more as the weather gets colder. Quilted coats started to show up in the fashion community last winter, exclusively being short and oversized. This is definitely something that we’ll still be seeing more and more in 2022! With longer coats in all materials and colors dominating the outerwear world, you can definitely bet on seeing the longer version of these on all of your favorite Pinterest girls.

3. FORMAL TOPS UNDER OVERALLS

Overalls, once reserved only for farmers and small children under ten, have had their place in fashion for a good part of the last few years. This new combination, however, has taken them from a casual outfit choice to an elevated ensemble that will make you look effortlessly cool. Seen recently with items like sweaters and blouses underneath them, overalls may have just cemented their place in the cool girl wardrobe.

Check out these trends and make them your own!

Josie Estes

Rutgers '26

Josie is a freshman at Rutgers University, studying Art and Design. Besides writing and making art, she loves fashion, music, going to art museums and concerts, and her cats.