Fashion Fix: Avoid the Case of the Blahs

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Rutgers chapter.

Hey girls! I hope you’re year is off to another great start. Make sure you’re bundling up!

Although I love the winter, my outfits at this time of year tend to get a case of the blahs. I usually just look towards spring and start recycling all of my old outfits. I wrote out this guide for you guys and myself, in hopes of a little fashion inspiration.

Now, I loved the military trend from Fall ’10. However, I think I may be falling head over heels for the All-American, breezy neutrals of Spring ’11. Here’s how to combine both!

The trick to combining last year’s styles with this year’s is choosing to either keep last year’s shapes, and go with this year’s colors, or vice-versa. I did a little of both. I kept consistent with the military green and the dolman shape for the sweater, and then added this year’s breezy khaki with the high-waisted skirt. Because it’s still winter, I added brown leggings, and they would be tucked into the suede ankle-boots. Boots like those will be very popular in the spring, so I suggest you snag a light-colored suede pair now! The men’s-shaped bags will still be in when spring rolls around, so spice it up with a popular woven pattern. Add some accessories, and viola! Fabulous.

For anyone that doesn’t get to see my outfits on a daily basis, I was obsessed with the greys and blacks of the 50’s this winter. I have become attached to cropped jackets that show a little bit of wrist. I plan on weeding out these darker colors for the jewel-toned brights of spring.

Because it is still winter, I didn’t want to go too crazy with the colors. I added just enough for it to pop against the black. What makes this a god transitional outfit, is that you should have a chunky necklace, bag, ring, and booties like this if you were a fan of the 50s this fall. The key pieces, then, are the tank top and skirt. The two pieces have a different texture, offsetting each other even more. The top is tucked into the skirt, of course, and then the sweater is worn over, most likely unbuttoned. Add the belt to cinch in the waist and you’re in a 50s fall shape with spring colors.

Well, I hope you liked it! Let me know what you think, and if you would like to see anything else! Stay fab, ladies.

Photo credits: Alexander Wang, Vouge ft. Laura Stone, Nina Ricci, Paris; Gucci, Milan; Donna Karen, NY, Polyvore.com

Olivia is an editorial assistant at The Record, New Jersey’s second largest daily newspaper and contributing writer for GoKicker.com. She’s a former BBC Travel intern and a proud Rutgers alum. She studied journalism, media studies, and English at Rutgers, where she was managing editor of the daily student newspaper and founding Campus Correspondent of HerCampus.com/Rutgers . She was also on the rowing and triathlon teams. Dogs, summer, and DIY projects are up there on the list of her much-loved things in life. Follow: @OlivePretzel.