Everything Wrong With The Word “Female”

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Rutgers chapter.

The Merriam Webster dictionary defines the word “female” as “of, relating to, or being the sex that typically has the capacity to bear young or produce eggs.” Girls and women are more than just their ability to get pregnant and bear children. It is easy to interchange “female” and “woman” with one another, but the use of “female” actually dehumanizes women and describes them as nothing more than reproductive parts.

“Woman,” on the other hand, is defined as “the female human being.” The keyword here is “human.” Women are human beings and not any other species or animal, like the word “female” could suggest. We are inventors, leaders, business owners, strong, confident, and so much more than what “female” means.  

Plus, you never hear men get referred to as “male,” they are exclusively referred to as “men.” It might be weird to obsess and be concerned about the usage of “female,” but if men can be referred to in the correct term with ease then women deserve the same. There would also be some raised eyebrows if anyone tried to use “male” casually. There is a good reason for that, it just does not work.

The bottom line is that these two words can just not be used interchangeably. Yes, all women are females but not all females are women. They mean two different things and present different connotations. One describes women as worth nothing more than their reproductive parts, like they only exist to produce children. The other word, though, means exactly what it says. Now think again, which word will you use from now on?

Shannon is a senior attending Rutgers University pursuing a bachelor's degree in Journalism & Media studies. Although she is graduating this May, she will be staying to obtain her Master's degree in Communication Media. With a great passion for everything fashion and beauty, she hopes to be writing for a magazine centered around both. She loves puppies and can often be found in bed binging a k-drama on Netflix!