This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Rutgers chapter.

Do you know who’s truly remarkable? Elaine Welteroth. At 21 years old, she moved to New York City and began her editorial career as an intern at Ebony, eventually moving up to beauty and style editor. Her role at Ebony was followed by a position at Glamour in a similar area. She eventually became the beauty and health director at Teen Vogue in 2012. At age 29, she was appointed editor-in-chief at Teen Vogue, making her the youngest ever editor-in-chief to be appointed at Condé Nast (besides Teen Vogue, their other brands include Allure, Vogue, The New Yorker, and more) as well as the second black woman to lead a Condé Nast print magazine. Under Welteroth, Teen Vogue became a more progressive and modern magazine that not only provided some solid fashion and lifestyle advice but also genuinely reflected the political environment that their target demographic was dealing with. Not long after it was announced that Teen Vogue will transition into a digital-only publication by the end of 2017, Elaine Welteroth decided to step down as editor-in-chief and signed with CAA, which has sparked speculation that she may possibly be pursuing or transitioning into a career on-screen. She has already made an on-screen cameo on an episode of ABC’s “Black-ish” and co-wrote an episode of the show’s spin-off, “Grown-ish.”

Image Source

Keoni Nguyen is a former undergrad student at Rutgers University and the former Co-Campus Correspondent of Her Campus Rutgers (2018-2019).