Dharun Ravi indicted on 15 counts

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Rutgers chapter.

Dharun Ravi was indicted on 15 counts by Middlesex County jury after evidence was gathered from a criminal investigation, according to Middlesex County Prosecutor’s Office.

Ravi, 19, was charged with two counts of invasion of privacy in addition to two counts of attempted invasion, for secretly recording his roommate Tyler Clementi during an intimate encounter with another man.

According to Prosecutor Bruce Kaplan, both invasion of privacy counts are third- and fourth-degree offenses that could result in a sentence of up to five years in prison.

It was also discovered that Ravi attempted to mislead the investigators and witnesses by deleting a Twitter post that signaled others to watch his roommate’s encounter and replacing it with a false post.

The grand jury also found that Ravi gave investigators information that would mislead the investigation and tried to convince the witnesses to not testify against him.

Ravi was also charged with two counts of second-degree bias and two counts of third-degree bias. The second-degree offense could result in another five to 10 years in prison.

Charges against Molly Wei, 19, were not presented to the grand jury, but her pending charges include two counts of invasion of privacy.

Olivia is an editorial assistant at The Record, New Jersey’s second largest daily newspaper and contributing writer for GoKicker.com. She’s a former BBC Travel intern and a proud Rutgers alum. She studied journalism, media studies, and English at Rutgers, where she was managing editor of the daily student newspaper and founding Campus Correspondent of HerCampus.com/Rutgers . She was also on the rowing and triathlon teams. Dogs, summer, and DIY projects are up there on the list of her much-loved things in life. Follow: @OlivePretzel.